tax table lookup with udf or vba requested

greegan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So I'm trying to determine where a salary appears on our tax tables.
We have 12 provinces and territories, each having their own tables (not including the 13th Quebec as they have a different system), and we have tables for our federal taxes. Each of these jurisdictions have additional tables, each with a specified pay period (weekly, biweekly, semi-monthly, and monthly). I'm going to use the Biweekly tables as an example here.
For the province of Manitoba, the tax table pdf will have one Federal table (several pages long) then continue with the provincial tables (again several pages long).
For your reference I've included a link to the website where this pdf is available
T4032MB - Payroll Deductions Tables - Income tax deductions - Manitoba - Effective January 1, 2013
The file name is t4032mb-26pp-13eng.pdf
On the left there are ranges of numbers, and my salary has to fall within a range of numbers before I can figure out the taxes it represents in the columns for what is referred to as Claim Codes.
The Claim Codes are simple to figure out, its the range I'm having problems with.
I'll begin with the Federal tax deductions, which begins on the first page. The from and less than range begins with 495, and the last number on that page will be 711. Each range has a difference of four.
On the next page it will be a difference of 8, then 16, then 24, then 32, then finally a difference of 40 which ends with the top range of 7271-7311
So its simple to a manual check on where the salary will cross reference the Claim Code and we'll have the tax deduction at source. What I want to do is automate this, so if I were to state my salary was 1036, the macro or udf would return a value that is the median of the From and Less than values where my salary finds itself.
My example of 1036 would find itself between 1031 and 1039 with a median of 1035. I would like to enter my salary in one cell and this value to appear next to it.

IF possible I would like to be able to call up the From and Less than ranges within 3 levels lower and three levels higher in addition to the range described above.
The next tricky part is each pay period will have a different range of numbers and each province/territory will begin their tables with different values.

If I were to imagine a udf for this, I would guess the arguments would be the province (prov as string), the pay period (pp as string), the salary (sal as currency), with maybe a select case based on the range of numbers available.

I'm not really sure where to start.
Can anyone assist with this? Thank you for any comments you may have.

-- g

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
No takers on this?
I was able to figure this out with formulas, would this help someone help me with vba?

Upvote 0
Re: tax table lookup with udf or vba requested - Amended

What information do you need from me in order to assist me with this? I will be posting more information on the formulas I worked out some time this weekend. But should I start a new thread?

-- g

Upvote 0

=VLOOKUP(HLOOKUP(<PayPeriod>,<FullRange>,MATCH($X196,<Jurisdiction>,0),FALSE),irrelevant,2,FALSE)
HLOOKUP(<PayPeriod>,<FullRange>,MATCH($X196,<Jurisdiction>,0),FALSE)
tblSubjectLookup =
list of names and relative named ranges

Upvote 0

what i was looking for was
Code:
=HLOOKUP(D20,I1:M16,MATCH(D18,I1:I16),FALSE)
more questions to come

-- g

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back