Temporarily Store Password

Veritan

Hi everyone, I am trying to come up with a method for temporarily storing a password. The file that I am creating is going to be used by numerous people, only some of whom will have full access to the entire document. I have code (part of which is below) that I use to save the workbook when an authorized user makes changes to the workbook. There are 4 tabs in total in the workbook, and the saving code is assigned to a button on the 4th tab. The 4th tab is hidden and the entire workbook is password protected, while the first 3 tabs are individually password protected at the sheet level. My concern is that an authorized user will unlock the workbook, make legitimate changes, and run the save code but use a different password than is used at the sheet level. For instance, if the password for the sheets is "Password1", but the user saves the workbook using the password "Password2", then the sheets will still use "Password1". I want to make sure that the same password is used to protect individual sheets and the workbook itself. In order to access the button to save changes made by an authorized user, the user must at a minimum unlock the workbook. I would like to have VBA automatically unlock all sheets with the workbook level password so that when the user saves, the new password is applied to the workbook and each of the worksheets. Is there some sort of AfterUnprotect event that can store the password, place it in a string variable, and then unlock all the sheets with the string variable?

Code:
Sub ManagementSave()
    Dim PWInitial$, PWConfirm$, i%

PWInitial = InputBox("Please enter the password to protect this workbook." & Chr(10) & Chr(10) & _
        "Remember that passwords are case sensitive and cannot be recovered if lost or forgotten.", _
        Title:="Workbook Password")
        If PWInitial = vbNullString Then Exit Sub
    PWConfirm = InputBox("Please confirm the password, ensuring that case sensitivity is preserved.", _
        Title:="Confirm Password")
        If PWConfirm = vbNullString Then Exit Sub
    If PWInitial <> PWConfirm Then
        MsgBox "The two passwords did not match. Please retry entering the password.", Title:="Password Mismatch"
        Exit Sub
    End If
    Sheets("Lists").Visible = False
    ActiveWorkbook.Protect Password:=PWConfirm, Structure:=True, Windows:=False
    For i = 1 To 3
        Sheets(i).Protect Password:=PWConfirm, DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
    Next i
End Sub

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
It seems you don't want the password changed. Have you considered not prompting the user for the password and just hard-coding it in this subroutine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back