Textbox or Label to display changing data

chazz

Board Regular
I just want to display data. Some have helped me figure out how to do it dynamically by pointing out the Controlsource property on Textboxes. I notice that the Label has a controlsource property, too, but it doesn't seem to respond to changing cell contents in real time as the Textbox does.

The problem with the Textbox is that, even when locked, if the user clicks on it, it causes an error -- "Exception Occured." If I disable the Textbox, it still displays the data in real time, but the font is greyed out and I can't see an efficient way to change that.

I find it odd that simply displaying changing data (as opposed to receiving input data) would be a function that requires special workarounds. And yet it appears that way.

A user can't directly change the display of a label, but the label doesn't do the display job that the textbox does. This doesn't really make sense to me.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hello there,

The problem with the Textbox is that, even when locked, if the user clicks on it, it causes an error -- "Exception Occured."

How to you set your lock property as I get this error msg only if the worsheet is propected or read only and then the textbox has a controlsource pointing to a range on the protected worksheet.
Meaning this is why you may get this error.

By having an unprotected worksheet and then setting a controlsource for the textbox pointing to a cell a the unprotected sheet and then setting the property Locked of the textbox to true, you shouldn't get this message or then you may have some additional code somewhere that interfere.

May be this is helpful. It is hard to resolve a problem when you don't have all the pieces of the puzzle.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back