Snake Eyes

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings,
I have a table in which column (C) has each cell (C10 thru C30) using a data validation list from a worksheet in the same workbook. The list contains dates and these cells are formatted as dates.
Each of the cells displays a warning arrow that states "This cell is inconsistent with column formula."
There is no actual formula in the cell so I'm not sure how to eliminate the warning.
If I ignore it, the warning indicator goes away but returns as soon as I make a selection from the dropdown.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
This warning message is typically displayed when there is a discrepancy between the value in a cell and the value that is expected by a formula in the same row or column. In your case, since there is no formula in the cells that are giving the warning, it's likely that the problem is with the data validation list you are using.

One possibility is that the list contains dates that are not formatted consistently with the cells that use the list. For example, if the cells are formatted as "MM/DD/YYYY" but the dates in the list are in "DD/MM/YYYY" format, then you will see this warning. To fix this, you can change the format of the dates in the data validation list to match the format of the cells.

Another possibility is that the list contains invalid dates. For example, if the list contains a date like "31/02/2021" which is not a valid date, then you will also see this warning. To fix this, you will need to identify and remove any invalid dates from the list.

You can also try to clear any existing data validation and reapply it. And make sure that the list is referencing to the correct range and make sure that the list is up-to-date and relevant to the cells.

If none of the above suggestions help, please let me know and I'll be happy to look into it further.

Upvote 0
Hi aaewalsh,
I tried each of your suggestions but neither worked.
1) Formatting for the list and the cells that use the list are both as 14-APR-23
2) I also verified that the dates in the list are valid.
3) I cleared the data validation and saved, then reset it and the issue persists.

Upvote 0
Hi aaewalsh,
I tried each of your suggestions but neither worked.
1) Formatting for the list and the cells that use the list are both as 14-APR-23
2) I also verified that the dates in the list are valid.
3) I cleared the data validation and saved, then reset it and the issue persists.
Can you send workbook

Upvote 0
Did that column have a formula in it previously?

Upvote 0
For test purpose make fresh another list validation in other range. Use that list for validation and try.
This worked for me.
I created a new column outside of the table with the data validation references. No Issue.
I deleted the table format and copied that new column into the desired column overwriting what was there.
I then re-selected my desired table format.
No more error.
Thank you for the assistance.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back