Tough SumIF/Total based on certain criteria.

JokerFMJ

Board Regular
I have a quite odd question that I'm trying to figure out a way to do it in Excel, but I'm not sure it is possible.

I have a report file of about 3,000 charges. Normally when this file is loaded into our system it is formatted in a way that each person is only listed once under one main account number with a balance of their combined charges. However, when the last person ran this report they did not select the proper report options so each charge was listed individually under a shared account number.

We now must correct this, but because some time has passed and certain accounts have had payments made on them we cannot just close them all and reload them properly. What has to be done is we have to close the charge #'s that no payments have been made on and then add those balances to the accounts where payments have been made. I cannot simply sum the balances and add that to the accounts because this would happen:

Person A has three charges #'s each with a $25 balance, meaning they owe a total of $75. The system currently shows these three charge #'s with their proper balances, but I need 1 charge # showing a total of $75.

If I were to sum the totals and then run it through the system, the program would add the total due ($75) to the current balance ($25), and the person would then show a total due of $100.

Some people may be showing twice in the file, others may be showing as many as 20 times. Each of these charges shares the same account number, so I'm using that as my identifying factor.

My question is: Is there a way to sum items together, but remove a certain dynamic value?

I may need to sum cells B3:B5, but remove B3's value from the total?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
How are you going to identify the ones you want to remove and crucially be able to tell excel. The summing is the easy bit.

Upvote 0
If you can do it manually then you are using rules to decide what to do. You just need to logically write these rules down then excel can be made to follow them also.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back