Trying to vlookup with multiple sheets and searching for text w/ criteria.

agui23

Hey,

So i'm going crazy here. I've watched videos, I've searched the web and this forum, and nothing is working. I am trying to do a vlookup with multiple sheets and I need to use a text criteria to lookup the results.

I created a concatenated column in both sheets and put it as the left-most column. This should serve as my identifier. I also removed duplicates on the second sheet. I am then trying to create a vlookup that will look at sheet 1 to see what classes certain students have. I want the look up to do lookups via text. For example, when it contains the words math, english, algebra, etc. I have a lot of cells that need to be sorted so I don't want to do it by hand. What are the forumlas needed for ELA Period Name, ELA Teacher First, ELA Teacher Second, etc? Thank you!!!!!!

For example:

Table 1: Roster ANET
LastNumberFirst_NameLast_NameMiddle_NameEthGenderDOBNumberGradeCourse_NameTeacher FirstTeacher Last
Johnson12345BradJohnson-m1/1/1111123456ELA 6JohnSmith
Luther-7890LexLuthor-M2/2/222278906Math 7AlGore
Johnson12345BradJohnson-m1/1/111123456Algebra 1ThomasJefferson

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 1:
LastNumberFirst_NameLast_NameEthGenderDOBNumberGradeELA Period NameELA Teacher FirstELA Teacher SecondMath Period 1Math Teacher FirstMath Teacher Second
Johnson12345BradJohnson-M1/1/1111123456

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A:J,10,0)

vlookup translation. look up this cell (they have t be exactly the same no space before after and have to be the same format) , here is my table, use the data in the cell 10 rows away , 0 (the 0 has no relevance to what you need it)

Upvote 0
All that does is return the J column in the first sheet and copy it to the appropriate column in sheet 2. I need it to look up specifically for one string of text, i.e. "ela" or "math", and return the appropriate information. Maybe I'm missing something :-/

Upvote 0
Try something like:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$J$2:$L$4,AGGREGATE(14,6,(ROW(Sheet2!$J$2:$J$4)-ROW(Sheet2!$J$2)+1)/((Sheet2!$A$2:$A$4=Sheet1!$A$2)*(LEFT(Sheet1!K$1,FIND(" ",Sheet1!K$1))=LEFT(Sheet2!$J$2:$J$4,FIND(" ",Sheet2!$J$2:$J$4)))),1),IF(ISERROR(FIND("First",K$1)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("Second",K$1)),1,3),2)),"")

That assumes your table is sheet2 rows 1-4...

This will look up the word ELA and return "ELA 6 for period name, John, and Smith for teacher first and last... it's ugly but the best I could do...

good luck,

CN.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back