Unable to clear corrupt cell

Galena1

Ok, I was scraping data from a website and accidentally grabbed a larger range of data than intended and pasted it into a cell in my Excel workbook. Then, I messed up using CNTL Z and was unable to back out of it. Now, the cell contains what appears to be (2) data validation drops downs one on top of the other. I have tried using Delete, Cut, Copy/Paste over it, and nothing works. How do I get rid of or clear this cell?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Now, the cell contains what appears to be (2) data validation drops downs one on top of the other.
Never heard something like this.
Try this:
Select a range then run this code:
VBA Code:
Sub toDel()
Selection.Validation.Delete
End Sub

it's supposed to delete data validation, if it exists in the selection.

Upvote 0
It's probably a textbox of some sort.
Try right clicking on the object.

Upvote 0
Leveraging off @Fluff's text box comment.
If you hit Alt+F10 you will get an object selection pane on the right.
(At least it does on my 365 but I think it predates 365)
Selecting any one of the objects and then hitting Ctrl+A will select all of them.
You can then hit delete.

(Make sure there aren't any objects in there that you do not want to delete)

Upvote 0
Leveraging off @Fluff's text box comment.
If you hit Alt+F10 you will get an object selection pane on the right.
(At least it does on my 365 but I think it predates 365)
Selecting any one of the objects and then hitting Ctrl+A will select all of them.
You can then hit delete.

(Make sure there aren't any objects in there that you do not want to delete)
That's the closest solution yet. I guessed at what the object was being called (in this case, it was 'Control 62') and then hid it. Well, at least most of it. Part of the dropdown is still visible, but not much, so this is the best it can get. Very odd. Thanks for that suggestion. Never knew about this useful hide objects function.

Upvote 0
I guessed at what the object was being called (in this case, it was 'Control 62') and then hid it. Well, at least most of it. Part of the dropdown is still visible, but not much, so this is the best it can get.
That should not be the best you can get.

Any reason you opted to hide it rather than select it and hit the delete key ?
One issue you might be having, is make sure you have Developer > Design Mode activated (it should go a darker grey and any object you click should immediate show the border selected)

1630475080446.png

If after hiding or preferably deleting Control 62, you still have a DropDown, then there is another control at the same location.
Does that mean there are other objects on that sheet that you want to keep ?
If there are no objects you want to keep select one item hit Ctrl+A and then hit delete to delete them all.

If you don't want to delete them all and can't identify which is the right object, with Design mode enabled you should be able to select the other object in the worksheet and hit delete.

If you can't resolve it, select the tab of the sheet, copy it to a new workbook. Select all and hit delete, which should delete all your data but leave the objects.
Then share the spreadsheet with us on dropbox, onedrive or some other platform (share to anyone who has the link)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back