Unable to delete multiple rows in a very large spreadsheet

richard12

I have a sheet with 688,000 rows and 12 columns. I select specific records and can highlight them. But I cannot delete them except one by one and there are about 48,000 records I want to delete. I have tried to delete data in the rows, but I receive the same error message as for rows with the data. The error message is: "This won't work because it would move cells in a table on your worksheet." I am using Windows Excel 365. The rows have no calculated values or special properties. The sheet was a download of only values, with no formatting or calculations. The sheet has text and numbers in the rows. Is there any way to delete multiple rows in this type of sheet?

I did a copy/paste of multiple rows of this sheet to another sheet. Then selected all rows to delete. That worked!! And, it was instant. Excel worked like it always has until I had to deal with the massive amount of data on this sheet.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
It sounds like it has formatted some of the data in your sheet as a table and its causing the issue. It sounds like copy and paste to a new workbook worked and is a solution?

Just copy and paste either into a new sheet or workbook and ensure to just paste the values no formatting and then try to delete what you want.

Upvote 0
Solution
It sounds like it has formatted some of the data in your sheet as a table and its causing the issue. It sounds like copy and paste to a new workbook worked and is a solution?

Just copy and paste either into a new sheet or workbook and ensure to just paste the values no formatting and then try to delete what you want.
Thank you for explaining why the copy/paste worked. The original spreadsheet table has formatting. When I copied the entire spreadsheet, then pasted it to a new sheet using only values, I was then able to delete multiple rows without problems. Worked perfectly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amyap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back