UPC Scanning and leading zero's

chipsworld

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
G'Day,
Need some guidance...

I have a userform that has a single textbox (txtsrch). The issue is that, I want to scan the UPC barcode on a product and use that to do a vlookup in a sheet.

I immediately ran into a problem where the textbox does not capture the leading "0" in SOME of the barcodes.
Additional info:
Some barcodes are alpha-numeric
Not all barcodes have a leading zero.

Need to be able to pass the textbox into the vlookup, but as scanned. TO include any leading zeros.

VBA Code:
Dim txtsrchval As String

txtsrchval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Me.txtsrch.Text, Worksheets("Inventory").Range("A:F"), 4, False)

As always...thank you.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Will this work? Change the 9 to whatever number of digits you have in the barcodes.

VBA Code:
Dim txtsrchval As String
  Dim Astr As String

Astr = Me.txtsrch.Text
  Astr = Left("0000000000000", 9 - Len(Astr)) & Astr
  txtsrchval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Astr, Worksheets("Inventory").Range("A:F"), 4, False)

Upvote 0
Will this work? Change the 9 to whatever number of digits you have in the barcodes.

VBA Code:
Dim txtsrchval As String
  Dim Astr As String

Astr = Me.txtsrch.Text
  Astr = Left("0000000000000", 9 - Len(Astr)) & AstrJe
  txtsrchval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Astr, Worksheets("Inventory").Range("A:F"), 4, False)
Jeffrey,
I see what you did, but unfortunately, it won't work because the length of UPC codes varies from short to excessively long. Using a fixed number of spaces is the issue that I have run up against in my trials and tribulations! LOL
Plus, not all UPCs have leading zeros in them.

Thanks

Upvote 0
So, do you think this is a problem with the barcode scanner or is it being interpreted by the text box somehow? I would try scanning it into a different destination like a cell formatted as text. Are there settings on the scanner to account for leading zeros, have it just provide the native value from the barcode?

Upvote 1
Solution
So, do you think this is a problem with the barcode scanner or is it being interpreted by the text box somehow? I would try scanning it into a different destination like a cell formatted as text. Are there settings on the scanner to account for leading zeros, have it just provide the native value from the barcode?
Jeff,
Yes... I did some additional testing. I do have some UPCs that start with zero, and the barcode scanner does send the zero.
I do appreciate the help, but I think I have just pushed beyond what Excel and VBA can do.

Thanks again...

Upvote 0
If the scanner sends the zero then you should be able to save it with zero. A cell formatted as a text number format should save it properly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back