Use of Array in IF function to return a "store-type" based on a text fragment from "store name."

EricVDG

I downloaded a credit-card summary statement. Each row represents a purchase (including date, store name and amount). A given row of data might look like this:

1/1/12Publix #246 SR98286659$128

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to add a fourth column that automatically qualifies a customized "store-type" (e.g., grocery, hardware, clothes, art-supplies, etc.) based on the name of the store listed in column 2.

Nested IF statements might work, but formulas become cumbersome when there are many stores. Moreover, data in the 'store' field often includes non-essential information, so wildcards will be necessary.

I'm imagining that I will have to use an IF function in an array format which references a separate dynamic list that includes store name (col 1) and store type (col 2) to return a value.

I imagine it working this way: The formula in column 4 looks for a text fragment in column 2 (e.g., "Publix*") and searches a separate dynamic list by store name and returns the associated store-type to column 4.

1/2/12
Publix #246 SR98286659
$130Grocery
1/3/12Home Depot #5 208909 dlsf$100Hardware
1/4/12Publix #16 LKO kjnlksld 22335
$80Grocery

<tbody>
</tbody>

An array formula is the only thing I can think of that is powerful enough to manage such complex data. Suggestions?

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi,

Say you have this table in G1:H2

G H
Publix
Grocery
Home depot
Hardware

<tbody>
</tbody>

then put this array formula in D1
=INDEX($H$1:$H$2,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH($G$1:$G$2,B1)),0))

confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

copy down

M.

Upvote 0
I downloaded a credit-card summary statement. Each row represents a purchase (including date, store name and amount). A given row of data might look like this:

1/1/12
Publix #246 SR98286659
$128

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

I want to add a fourth column that automatically qualifies a customized "store-type" (e.g., grocery, hardware, clothes, art-supplies, etc.) based on the name of the store listed in column 2.

Nested IF statements might work, but formulas become cumbersome when there are many stores. Moreover, data in the 'store' field often includes non-essential information, so wildcards will be necessary.

I'm imagining that I will have to use an IF function in an array format which references a separate dynamic list that includes store name (col 1) and store type (col 2) to return a value.

I imagine it working this way: The formula in column 4 looks for a text fragment in column 2 (e.g., "Publix*") and searches a separate dynamic list by store name and returns the associated store-type to column 4.

1/2/12
Publix #246 SR98286659
$130
Grocery
1/3/12
Home Depot #5 208909 dlsf
$100
Hardware
1/4/12
Publix #16 LKO kjnlksld 22335
$80
Grocery

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

An array formula is the only thing I can think of that is powerful enough to manage such complex data. Suggestions?
One way...

Create a table with the store names in the left column and the type in the right column:

Book1
FG
2CostcoGrocery
3MyStoreGeneral
4PublixDrug
5Home DepotHardware
Sheet1

Book1
ABCD
21/1/2012Publix #246 SR98286659128Drug
36/15/2012POS MyStore 12345655General
46/15/2012123xx Costco 56xxx 2364Grocery
56/15/2012Home Depot 123456 0002100Hardware
Sheet1

This formula entered in D2 and copied down:

=LOOKUP(1E100,SEARCH(F$2:F$5,B2),G$2:G$5)

Upvote 0
Marcelo Branco, Thank you so very much ! This worked really well! Are there limitations I should be aware of? For example, could I make the referencing data (columns G and H in your example) as an expanding table for additional data in the future?

Upvote 0
Biff, this worked really wonderfully !!! Thank you! I've learned so much. I had never used the 1E100 function before. Are there any assumptions or limitations I should be aware of with this construct. Would it be possible to have the "referenced table" (columns F & G in your example) be part of an expanding table so we could add additional stores in the future?

Upvote 0
Biff, this worked really wonderfully !!! Thank you! I've learned so much.
You're welcome!

Are there any assumptions or limitations I should be aware of with this construct.
If the string being searched contains more than one store name that formula will return the strore name that is listed nearest the bottom of the store list table. However, since these are financial transactions I think it is not likely that more than one store name will be in a transaction.

Would it be possible to have the "referenced table" (columns F & G in your example) be part of an expanding table so we could add additional stores in the future?
Sure...

Create these named ranges.

In Excel 2007 or later...

Goto the Formulas tab>Defined Names>Define Name

In Excel 2003 and earlier...

Goto the menu Insert>Name>Define

Name: Store
Refers to:

=Sheet1!$F$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$F$2:$F$50,MATCH("zzzzz",Sheet1!$G$2:$G$50))

Name: Type
Refers to:

=Sheet1!$G$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$G$2:$G$50,MATCH("zzzzz",Sheet1!$G$2:$G$50))

Adjust for a reasonable end of range to allow for added items. I use down to row 50.

Then, the formula in D2 and copied down would become:

=LOOKUP(1E100,SEARCH(Store,B2),Type)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Marcelo Branco, Thank you so very much ! This worked really well! Are there limitations I should be aware of? For example, could I make the referencing data (columns G and H in your example) as an expanding table for additional data in the future?

Eric,

You are welcome and thanks for the feedback.

No limitations. You can expand the table as needed and adjust the formula accordingly.

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rache47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back