User Defined Formula to Generate Polynomial Regression Equation

lysychkey

Hello, all.

I've been searching and attempting to create a user-defined formula (UDF) that returns the equation for polynomial regression without use of an excel chart. What I'm currently doing is typing the formula below into a cell to generate the equation.

=ROUND(INDEX(LINEST(C46:C63,B46:B63^{1,2,3}),1),5) & " * " & K44 & " ^ 3 + " & ROUND(INDEX(LINEST(C46:C63,B46:B63^{1,2,3}),1,2),5) & " * " & K44 & " ^ 2 + " & ROUND(INDEX(LINEST(C46:C63,B46:B63^{1,2,3}),1,3),5) & " * " & K44 & " + "& ROUND(INDEX(LINEST(C46:C63,B46:B63^{1,2,3}),1,4),5)

Because I use this equation of dozens of tables of varying size AND seeing the common and hopefully easily repeatable nature of the equation, I'd like to create a UDF that generates the coefficients and puts it into equation form. For this example, it's cubic regression, so the result of the UFD would produce something akin to ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d. Here's what I've attempted so far.
  • I recorded a macro of typing in the equation to a cell. I copied the macro into a new module and attempted to replace the ranges inside of the LINEST function with user input from the UDF. I tried replacing the ranges directly; I tried transposing the user input and replacing the ranges; I tried converting the user input to a string and replacing the ranges. Nothing worked.
  • I searched through several forums to find the answer. The common elements I saw in these forums were transposing the user input ranges, and then using various forms of Application.LinEst(y, Application.Power(x, Array(1, 2))). I could not get these to work either.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
What version of Excel do you use?
With the latest version, you can use Let and/or Lambda.

It is often a great help if one posts an extract of their sheet with the forum's tool named XL2BB.
Please also show expected results.

I have no knowledge relating to Polynomial Regressions.

Did you search for formulas,check Excel's advanced and specialized functions, and review Analysis ToolPak?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back