Using IFNA with 2 Nested VLOOKUPs

The Incendiary

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, all. I've been working on a tool that I want to be able to VLOOKUP a value from a range, then if the answer is "#N/A," search a different range. I also want this cell to not show its result until data is entered in the "data" cell. I tried several combinations of nested IFNAs and IFs along with VLOOKUP, and I got close but wasn't able to get what I needed. Here's a generic version of what I have:

Data cell: B4
In B2 (this is the intended nested "check" cell): =IFNA(VLOOKUP(B4,'filename.xlsx$Range$,col_index_num,0),"")
In C2 (this is the extra "helper" cell I had to add since the nesting wasn't working): =IF(COUNTIF(B2,"<>"),VLOOKUP(B4,'2ndfilename.xlsx$Range$,col_index_num,,0),"")

The logic here that I ultimately want is:
Data is entered in B4 (B2 is blank until this happens)
B2 checks the data in B4 against one data source with VLOOKUP to return a matching value
If this =#N/A, it checks another source (called "2ndfilename" above), also with VLOOKUP
If this =#N/A, 0, etc., a message is returned

Does anyone have any insight as to how I might accomplish this, all within the one "check" cell, B2? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
With Excel 365 in your hand you can do same with XLOOKUP. It has got in built option of [If not found]

Upvote 0
Solution
With Excel 365 in your hand you can do same with XLOOKUP. It has got in built option of [If not found]
So XLOOKUP once, then another XLOOKUP if not found (then another conditional statement to put the message text)? I tried that once, but did not have success either

Upvote 0
Success could be because of other factors. I have used XLOOKUP(s) up to 4 seeded inside one and it worked perfect. Don't know how many can you seed within one...
Thanks! I was actually able to make this work with the below setup:

=IF(ISBLANK(data cell),"",IFNA(XLOOKUP),XLOOKUP,"Not found","Not found")

Upvote 0
=IF(ISBLANK(data cell),"",IFNA(XLOOKUP),XLOOKUP,"Not found","Not found")
Just in case it interests you, there can be a shorter version of it. This way you have to write the XLOOKUP statement only once.

Check this and revert -

=Let(XL,XLOOKUP Statement,IFS(data cell="","",True,XL))

"Not Found" can be part of XLOOKUP statement itself...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back