Using speak cell for dictation

supermom28115

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to find out if it is possible to write a simple program that uses a list in which each cell would hold a word, a phrase or a sentence as a range to be randomly chosen and then read using speak cell. I would also like to be able to program in a pause between each recitation that would be setup using a message box that would ask how many seconds delay between each one. I am trying to set up a file for shorthand writing practice that allows me to have a custom list and ability to decrease and/or increase WPM. I eventually would like to also have the option of choosing from multiple lists when setting the delay using the message box. I am having difficulty finding instructions on how to use speak cell within a formula or VBA code. Does anyone have an example or thread they can point me to or know of a way to set something like this up?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
There are lots of posts everywhere on how to generate a random number between 2 numbers. Also lots on how to get an range of cells into an array, which is probably what you'd need to cut down the search time used in getting values from cells each time. Otherwise your pause will likely be wonky because I think you'd find that there might be a 1 second delay the first time a range reference is evaluated but repeat it and it will probably be instantaneous - surely so if you repeat it in succession. For pause choices, I'd recommend an input box that accepts a number type of single so that you can choose fractions of time (e.g. 1.5 seconds). For this you will need a function to create a pause. I have one somewhere that accepts single data type but would have to look for it. An input box (type 8?) can also be used to return a range of cells for you to use.

Not sure why you couldn't find instructions on how to use speak cell. I've never heard of it before and found info in 5 seconds.
I tried it on my sheet 4, range C4 and it worked.
application.Speech.Speak Sheets("4").range("C4")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back