Using values from an array in Offset

Gara

I'm trying to use an array to store offset values that refer to cells whose contents I want to change only while my macro is running, and then at the end of the macro I want to revert to the value I had when the macro started.

The cells can only contain "include" or "exclude", which control what series appear in a chart. However for the purposes of the macro I need all of those cells to say "include". To do so I setup this code to change them and populate the array:

Code:
k= 0 
Do While k < 6
    'Check row 3 of the column k columns to the left of C
    If Range("C3").Offset(0, k).Value = "Exclude" Then
        'Set the cell back to Include
        Range("C3").Offset(0, k).Value = "Include"

'Resize ResetCells to length l
        ReDim ResetCells(l) As Long

ResetCells(l) = k

l = l + 1
    End If
    k = k + 1
Loop

This executes without issue (at least to the extent that no errors are thrown by Excel). Later Once I've done what I needed I try to use the array to revert the cells I changed thusly (I never change l's value after the first loop, so that if I, for example, change 3 of the 6 cells I check, l is still 3 when I start this loop):

Code:
Do While l - 1 > 0
    'go to the cell indicated by ResetCells(l)
    Range("C3").Offset(0, ResetCells(l)).Value = "Exclude"
    l = l - 1
Loop

When I hit the first line inside the loop (Range("C3"). ...) Excel says the subscript is out of range. I've tried poking around on this an a couple other sites for some guidance, but I'm not seeing anything that seems to help.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
This is not the answer you are looking for but I am just starting out and I would use a work around.

for instance if my table was 30 columns wide i would say

if cells(0,k)=exclude then
cells (0,k)=include
cells(0,100)=Exclude

then to put them back I would look down column 100 for the exclude or number 1 or whatever I put there and use that as a reference to replace cells(0,k)

Long winded I know but simple is as simple does so my mate Forrest says.

Upvote 0
I had tried something like that, but couldn't get it to work. That was likely because I had to finish by COB yesterday, so I needed some solution and was rushing(ultimately I just didn't reset the cells).

I agree your solution would work just fine in this instance. I'm really mostly just looking to get an understanding of what I did wrong so that, should I need to use an array in the future, I can do so successfuly.

Upvote 0
And ths:

l = l - 1

should probably be l = l +1

Unless you do:

l = ubound(ResetCells)

for i = l to 0 step -1
'do something with ResetCells(i)
next i

Upvote 0
Thanks nuked!

I needed the Preserve, the other thing I finally noticed is that since I increment l after each new value is added, and never reset it's value to ResetCells' actual length, when I'm pulling the values out I need to be looking at l - 1, not l.

Those two changes made and the code worked perfectly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammMcCandless

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back