Utilising Validation List results

julhs

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hopefully the Xl2bb I have uploaded will give a rough sense of my layout and what I am trying to do,
along with the formula (Xl2bb doesn’t seem to display Validation List drop downs)
But even if it did, my Validation Lists are dependent on an External source workbook and not really relevant to this query.

At the moment in D11 & D12 I have Index Match formulas that pull the relevant data from the source book,
dependent on the selection made in Validation List #3 (But for sake of simplicity we will just deal with D11).
I also have a second formula that does exactly the same, but this time for Validation List #2.
Both formula work in D11 (when on their own) and a selection is made in the relevant VD list. But I can’t find the right way to combine the 2 separate formulas for D11 that DOESN’T result in “#N/A”.
00 Fert-Chemical-Nozzle calculator NEW Currant.xlsm
ABCDEFGHI
6Data Validation List #1
7Data Validation List #2 (Dependent on #1)
9Data Validation List #3
11Product container size
12Product Cost
15Formula for D11 that works with VD list #2Enter product used
16Formula for D11 that works with VD list #3Enter product used
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G15G15=IF(AND(D7="",D9=""),"Enter product used",IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,(ISERROR(INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),1)))),"Chemical not found", IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)+INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)=0),"No size entry", IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)=0),INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)&" lts",IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)=0),INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)&" kg" )))))
G16G16=IF(AND(D7="",D9=""),"Enter product used",IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,(ISERROR(INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),1)))),"Chemical not found", IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)+INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)=0),"No size entry", IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)=0),INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)&" lts",IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)=0),INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)&" kg" )))))

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
This is them combined and when it can return "#N/A"
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(D7="",D9=""),"Enter product used",IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,(ISERROR(INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),1)))),"Chemical not found", IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)+INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)=0),"No size entry", IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)=0),INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)&" lts",IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)=0),INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D7,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)&" kg",
IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,(ISERROR(INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),1)))),"Chemical not found", IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)+INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)=0),"No size entry", IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)=0),INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)&" lts",IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),3)=0),INDEX('aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Range,MATCH(D9,'aaFert_&_Chem_Pricing.xlsm'!Chemical_Name,0),4)&" kg" ))))))))))

Upvote 0
As I didn’t get any response, just wondering if was due to a badly written query or you simply CAN NOT Index-Match two separate Validation list selections in the same formula?
Essentially all I’m trying to do in D11 is verify that the source book has a value in it for the selection made in either of the VD lists (#2 or #3).
I have experimented with numerous different approaches at combining G15 with G16, all of which still give me a #N/A value for whichever of the VD lists that come second in the argument.
Eg.
When the 1st argument is; IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,….(rest of Index Match formula), returns expected value
and the 2nd argument is; IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,….(rest of Index Match formula), returns #N/A.
Switch the order;
1st argument is; IF(AND(D9>"",D7=0,…… returns expected value
2nd argument is; IF(AND(D7>"",D9=0,….. returns #N/A.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back