VB script allowing entering data in a cell and preserving the formula written on the cell

RadoslavBudinov

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Hope you are all doing fine and are having nice holidays!

I am trying to solve the following for one of my excell documents.
1. Having a data validation drop-down list with all vendors. Once I chose the needed vendor it autofills data in other cells on the same sheet with information about the vendor using =vlookup function on each cell.
2. I am having a cell with prices of the vendors that should be filled-in. In half of the vendors prices are presetted so the =vlookup function is working since prices are on enterred on the same array on Sheet2.
3. The other half of the vendors have their prices being changed monthly so I need to fill them in manually. The idea is when on the cell on which I have the formula "=IF(AND(B28<>"Vendor Name";VLOOKUP(Sheet1!B28;Sheet2!A1:E18;5;FALSE)<>"");VLOOKUP(Sheet1!B28;Sheet2!A1:E18;5;FALSE);"") " is actually Blank/Empty because the vendor does not have presetted data for Price to be able to put the current monthy price there without losing the above mentioned formula.
4. I have read somewhere on all excell forums it is possible by VBS. Trying and not being that good with vbs scripting I got this example for another almost similar issue:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Column = 1 Then
If Target.Value = "Yes" Then Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = "100%"
End If
End Sub

So I have to rewrite it to work for my needs and I got to that one which is not working:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If IsEmpty(Range("G14").Value) = True Then
Range("G14").Offset(0, 6).Value = "100%"
End If
End Sub

G14 is the cell where I have the formula above and is getting Blank if no presetted data for price is existing for the vendor.

Do you have any ideas if what I request is possible to be done and if you happen to know a better way should be perfect?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Why not have 2 tables, one for preset prices (Sheet2) and another for those that change monthly (Sheet3)?

=IF(B28="Vendor Name";"";IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(Sheet1!B28;Sheet2!$A$1:$E$18;5;FALSE);VLOOKUP(Sheet1!B28;Sheet3!$A$1:$E$18;5;FALSE);""))

You can not have a formula and a value in any cell at the same time (even with vba) you can only use one to overwite the other.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back