VBA calculates numbers incorrectly (basic arithmetic)

zack8576

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have this VBA code that converts the quantity of an item from how many inches to how many rolls
this code is not working on a particular file, see below, there are 276 inches of this item
using this equation: ((n / 12) \ 14.5) * 2, and the returned result is 0 ?

1673057804783.png

Test file below

code below
VBA Code:
Sub SealantConseal()
    Dim lrNew As Long
    lrNew = ActiveSheet.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    sr = 2

With Range("M1", Cells(Rows.Count, "M").End(3))
            .Replace What:="""", Replacement:=vbNullString, LookAt:=xlPart 'REMOVE THE INCH MARK
            .Replace What:="/JOINT", Replacement:=vbNullString, LookAt:=xlPart ' REMOVE /JOINT
           End With

n = WorksheetFunction.SumIfs(Range("M" & sr & ":M" & lr), Range("K" & sr & ":K" & lr), "*JOINT SEALANT*")
    lrNew = lrNew + 1
    Cells(lrNew, "A") = Cells(lr, "A")
    Cells(lrNew, "B") = "."
    Cells(lrNew, "C") = ((n / 12) \ 14.5) * 2  ' \ REMOVED ALL NUMBERS AFTER DECIMAL
    Cells(lrNew, "D") = "F51019"
    Cells(lrNew, "I") = "Purchased"
    Cells(lrNew, "K") = "CS-102 Sealant"
    If Cells(lrNew, "C").Value = 0 Then
        Rows(lrNew).Delete
    End If
End Sub

any help, or criticism on the way this code is written is welcomed.. thanks !

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
That's because you're using two different types of division operators, the / Operator that returns a floating point result and the \ Operator that returns an integer result. So, for example, let's assume that n is equal to 100. As such, it would be evaluated as follows...

VBA Code:
=((100 / 12) \ 14.5) * 2

=(8.33333333333333 \ 14.5) * 2

=(0) * 2

=0

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Did you actually give us all the code ?
Do you have lr set to a value somewhere ? or do you have an "On Error Resume Next" in your code somewhere ?
When I run your code it actually errors out on the line "n = WorksheetFunction.SumIfs(..." because lr is 0.
(You might want to consider using Option Explicit)

If I add the line lr = lrNew into your code then your formula returns the value 2 for n which is what I would expect your formula result to be with an input value of 276.

Upvote 0
That's because you're using two different types of division operators, the / Operator that returns a floating point result and the \ Operator that returns an integer result. So, for example, let's assume that n is equal to 100. As such, it would be evaluated as follows...

VBA Code:
=((100 / 12) \ 14.5) * 2

=(8.33333333333333 \ 14.5) * 2

=(0) * 2

=0

Hope this helps!
Domenic, so if I want to always receive integer results, no number after the decimals. I should modify the equation as :
VBA Code:
 Cells(lrNew, "C") = n \ 12 \ 14.5 * 2

This should give me the result of 2 right? I am still getting 0 when n = 276... :(

Upvote 0
Did you actually give us all the code ?
Do you have lr set to a value somewhere ? or do you have an "On Error Resume Next" in your code somewhere ?
When I run your code it actually errors out on the line "n = WorksheetFunction.SumIfs(..." because lr is 0.
(You might want to consider using Option Explicit)

If I add the line lr = lrNew into your code then your formula returns the value 2 for n which is what I would expect your formula result to be with an input value of 276.
Alex, lr was a global dim, I've moved Dim lr As Long into this subroutine ( I am starting to learn that global dim are not the best option...)
the result is still 0... I think I am missing something stupid here
VBA Code:
Sub SealantConseal()
    Dim lrNew As Long, lr As Long
    lr = ActiveSheet.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    sr = 2

With Range("M1", Cells(Rows.Count, "M").End(3))
        .Replace What:="""", Replacement:=vbNullString, LookAt:=xlPart 'REMOVE THE INCH MARK
        .Replace What:="/JOINT", Replacement:=vbNullString, LookAt:=xlPart ' REMOVE /JOINT
    End With
    n = WorksheetFunction.SumIfs(Range("M" & sr & ":M" & lr), Range("K" & sr & ":K" & lr), "*JOINT SEALANT*")
    lrNew = lrNew + 1
    Cells(lrNew, "A") = Cells(lr, "A")
    Cells(lrNew, "B") = "."
    Cells(lrNew, "C") = n \ 12 \ 14.5 * 2
    Cells(lrNew, "D") = "F51019"
    Cells(lrNew, "I") = "Purchased"
    Cells(lrNew, "K") = "CS-102 Sealant"
    If Cells(lrNew, "C").Value = 0 Then
        Rows(lrNew).Delete
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
This line lrNew = lrNew + 1needs to be lrNew = lr + 1

Upvote 0
I didn't have any issue with your original calculation using first / and then \.
The "\" (integer division) does the division and then truncates the decimals off to return just the integer. You probably do not want to do that every stage of the calcuation, you just need to think through what you are trying to achieve.
You are now getting zero because you removed the brackets. The multiply by 2 takes precedence over the integer divide, so you are actually dividing by 14.5*2 (29) and getting a figure that is < 1 which is being truncated to zero.
Try
VBA Code:
Cells(lrNew, "C") = (n / 12 \ 14.5) * 2

Assuming you want the result to be on the next row after the current last row you need to add in the second line below after you get the value for lr

Rich (BB code):
lr = ActiveSheet.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row   ' To show where to add the next line
lrNew = lr

Fluff has just given you a different option but I assumed you might be doing a loop and might want to keep the lrNew = lrNew + 1 but as you currently have it either will work.

Upvote 0
Solution
I didn't have any issue with your original calculation using first / and then \.
The "\" (integer division) does the division and then truncates the decimals off to return just the integer. You probably do not want to do that every stage of the calcuation, you just need to think through what you are trying to achieve.
You are now getting zero because you removed the brackets. The multiply by 2 takes precedence over the integer divide, so you are actually dividing by 14.5*2 (29) and getting a figure that is < 1 which is being truncated to zero.
Try
VBA Code:
Cells(lrNew, "C") = (n / 12 \ 14.5) * 2

Assuming you want the result to be on the next row after the current last row you need to add in the second line below after you get the value for lr

Rich (BB code):
lr = ActiveSheet.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row   ' To show where to add the next line
lrNew = lr

Fluff has just given you a different option but I assumed you might be doing a loop and might want to keep the lrNew = lrNew + 1 but as you currently have it either will work.
Thanks Alex for the detailed explanation, this fixed the issue thanks a bunch !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKN2GO

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back