VBA code to Capture values & ranges of all different values in a column

johnnyL

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Trying to capture all values found in a column as well as the ranges of those values found in a column.
Not just the Unique values.

Loading the initial column range of values into an array type vehicle is not allowed. :(

I will attach the code I came up with, I am asking what is the faster way to do it because the range involved will actually be many thousands of rows.

VBA Code:
Sub FindRangesForSameValuesInColumn()
'
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False                                                          ' Turn ScreenUpdating off
'
    Dim InitialValue                As Boolean
    Dim CellValueCounter            As Long
    Dim cell                        As Range, ColumnRange       As Range
    Dim CurrentCellValue            As Single, StoredCellValue  As Single
    Dim CurrentCellAddress          As String, CurrentCellRange As String
    Dim CellValueArray              As Variant, CellRangeArray  As Variant
'
    CellValueCounter = 0                                                                        ' Initialize CellValueCounter
     StoredCellValue = 0                                                                        ' Initialize StoredCellValue
'
    ReDim CellRangeArray(1 To 50000)                                                            ' Set initial size of CellRangeArray to a large size
    ReDim CellValueArray(1 To 50000)                                                            ' Set initial size of CellValueArray to a large size
'
    Set ColumnRange = Range("A1:A20")                                                           ' Set the column range to search through
'
    For Each cell In ColumnRange                                                                ' Loop through each cell in the range
        CurrentCellAddress = cell.Address(0, 0)                                                 '   Get the current cell address ... A1
'
        CurrentCellValue = Range("" & CurrentCellAddress & "").Value                            '   Gets the current cell row value ... 10.5
'
        If CurrentCellValue = StoredCellValue Then                                              '   If same value found then ...
            CurrentCellRange = Split(CurrentCellRange, ":")(0) & ":" & CurrentCellAddress       '       Correct the end of the range with new cell address
            CellRangeArray(CellValueCounter) = """" & CurrentCellRange & """"                   '       Save new range into CellRangeArray
        Else                                                                                    '   If new value found then ...
            InitialValue = True                                                                 '       Set New value flag
            StoredCellValue = CurrentCellValue                                                  '       Save new cell value into StoredCellValue
            CellValueCounter = CellValueCounter + 1                                             '       Increment CellValueCounter
            CellValueArray(CellValueCounter) = StoredCellValue                                  '       Save new cell value into CellValueArray
            CurrentCellRange = CurrentCellAddress & ":"                                         '       Save new range start address into CurrentCellRange
'
            If StoredCellValue <> Range("" & CurrentCellAddress & "").Offset(0, 1).Value & _
                    Not InitialValue Then                                                       '       If StoredCellValue <> next value & this isn't the
'                                                                                               '           first time for the value then ...
                        CellRangeArray(CellValueCounter) = """" & _
                        CurrentCellRange & Split(CurrentCellRange, ":")(0) & """"               '               Save single range into CellRangeArray
            End If
'
            InitialValue = False                                                                '       Set InitialValue to False
        End If
    Next                                                                                        ' Loop back
'
    ReDim Preserve CellValueArray(1 To CellValueCounter)                                        ' Resize the CellValueArray to actual size of array
    ReDim Preserve CellRangeArray(1 To CellValueCounter)                                        ' Resize the CellRangeArray to actual size of array
'
    Range("D2").Resize(UBound(CellValueArray)) = Application.Transpose(CellValueArray)          ' Display the contents of the CellValueArray
    Range("E2").Resize(UBound(CellRangeArray)) = Application.Transpose(CellRangeArray)          ' Display the contents of the CellRangeArray
'
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True                                                           ' Turn ScreenUpdating back on
End Sub

Here is a small sample of data:
ExcelFileSizeReducerV1.xlsm
ABCDEF
110.5Desired ValueDesired Range
210.510.5"A1:A4"
310.519"A5:A6"
410.510.25"A7:A7"
5196"A8:A14"
61910.5"A15:A17"
710.2517"A18:A20"
Sheet2

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
How about

VBA Code:
Sub FindRangesForSameValuesInColumn_ABv01()

Dim rng As Range, rngFirstRow As Long
    Dim i As Long, iOut As Long, startRow As Long, endRow As Long
    Dim arrOut() As Variant

Range("D2").CurrentRegion.Offset(1).ClearContents

If Range("A1") = "" Then
        rngFirstRow = Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row
    Else
        rngFirstRow = 1
    End If

Set rng = Range("A" & rngFirstRow & ":A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
    ReDim arrOut(1 To rng.Rows.Count, 1 To 2)

startRow = rng.Cells(1, 1).Row
    iOut = 0
    For i = rngFirstRow To rng.Rows.Count + rngFirstRow
        If Cells(i, "A") <> Cells(i + 1, "A") Then
            endRow = Cells(i, "A").Row
            iOut = iOut + 1
            arrOut(iOut, 1) = Cells(i, "A").Value
            arrOut(iOut, 2) = """" & "A" & startRow & ":" & "A" & endRow & """"
            startRow = endRow + 1
        End If
    Next i

Range("D2").Resize(iOut, 2).Value = arrOut

End Sub

Upvote 0
Try this code. Faster one.
Data range Starts from A1. Result range starts from F2. Change both as required.
VBA Code:
Sub GetRanges()
Dim M
Dim Rng As Range, Rng1 As Range
Dim  X$, T&

Set Rng = Range("A1").CurrentRegion
Set Rng1 = Rng.Offset(1, 0)

ReDim A(0 To Rng.Cells.Count, 1 To 2)

A(0, 1) = Rng.Cells(1, 1): X = Rng.Cells(1, 1).Address
M = Filter(Evaluate("Transpose(If(" & Rng.Address & "<>" & Rng1.Address & " ,ROW(" & Rng.Address & "),False))"), False, False)

For T = 0 To UBound(M)
A(T + 1, 1) = Rng.Cells(M(T) + 1, 1): A(T, 2) = X & ":" & Rng.Cells(M(T), 1).Address
X = Rng.Cells(M(T) + 1, 1).Address
Next T
 With Range("F2").Resize(T + 2, 2)
 .Clear
.Value = A
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Than you @Alex Blakenburg & @kvsrinivasamurthy for both of your responses. They are both better than what I had originally came up with.

They both are pretty fast. Without doing any time tests for more cells, it seemed that @kvsrinivasamurthy ran slightly faster on the code posted. I am only guessing, that if more cells were tested then @kvsrinivasamurthy code would prevail in a more noticeable fashion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back