VBA code to show date & weeknum

hrayani

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Friends,

I want a vba code to do following

As soon as I enter a date in any cell in Range("A1:A10") then the code should show the date along with week # in that particular cell

For example if I enter 25/Mar in cell A1 Then I want the cell A1 to change to show 25/Mar (Week 13)

Regards,

Humayun

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You could have a try with this macro (to be pasted in the sheet's module):
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    On Error GoTo terminate                       'required for irregular leap year inputs and other cases
    If Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not IsEmpty(Target) And IsDate(Target) Then Target = Format(Target, "dd/mmm") & " (Week " & WorksheetFunction.WeekNum(Target) & ")"
terminate:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
You could have a try with this macro (to be pasted in the sheet's module):
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    On Error GoTo terminate                       'required for irregular leap year inputs and other cases
    If Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not IsEmpty(Target) And IsDate(Target) Then Target = Format(Target, "dd/mmm") & " (Week " & WorksheetFunction.WeekNum(Target) & ")"
terminate:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub
Hi rollis13,

Thanks for the code - it is working but could you pls look into the below 2 points

1) I entered "1/1" & it changed to "1-Jan-24 (Week 1)" but when I edited the cell & changed the day to 15 then also it shows the same week number "15-Jan-24 (Week 1)" whereas, it should show week 3 like "15-Jan-24 (Week 3)" . In other words I mean to say that the week number does not change when you edit the cell. It only changes when you enter a new day into the cell

2) what day of the week the code is considering to be the 1st day & can we change it like the weeknum formula allows us to do

Upvote 0
1) You are not allowed to edit a cell because the macro checks and expects only a date input; when you edit the cell you are now editing a text input. Always re-enter the date if there is something wrong.
2) Almost like formulas, but only 1 and 2 are allowed, see LINK.

By the way, I think you should change the format of the date in the macro (maybe it's just an international formatting issue) because, as it is ("dd/mmm"), when you enter 1/1 the output should be 01/Jan (Week 1) as you asked in post #1 and not 1-Jan-24 (Week 1), see LINK.

Upvote 0
1) You are not allowed to edit a cell because the macro checks and expects only a date input; when you edit the cell you are now editing a text input. Always re-enter the date if there is something wrong.
2) Almost like formulas, but only 1 and 2 are allowed, see LINK.

By the way, I think you should change the format of the date in the macro (maybe it's just an international formatting issue) because, as it is ("dd/mmm"), when you enter 1/1 the output should be 01/Jan (Week 1) as you asked in post #1 and not 1-Jan-24 (Week 1), see LINK.
Sorry, I did not informed you - I changed the format from "dd" to "d"

Almost like formulas, but only 1 and 2 are allowed, see LINK.
Can yo pls let me know which part of the code could i edit to change 1 & 2

Upvote 0
This would be the Arg2 if week begins on Monday instead of Sunday.
WorksheetFunction.WeekNum(Target, 2)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the positive feedback(y), glad having been of some help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back