VBA copy paste currentRegion historically to another worksheet

cre8tivgamertag

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm getting my butt kicked and the different versions of this across functions has me fried. I have 2 sheets, one a source called "QC" and another intended to grab a copy of the data per QC operation, and paste it on the next open row to create a historical record of all the times the first sheet is filled in. I can get a basic copy and paste, and even get them to add row to append to the bottom of the list. When I try to use CurrentRegion to grab only the data from A3: L I'm breaking the whole thing somehow. I was hoping the CurrentRegion would be my solution to only grab as much data is filled in, 1 line, 15 lines, and paste it to the next open row on "Historical"

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would post what I had but deleted in a fit of rage...

1710899007381.png

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hello,

I'm assuming that you don't want or need the headings rows (1 and 2) copied so, with your current code, when using the CurrentRegion method, the headings will be copied as well. CurrentRegion requires at least one empty row and one empty column bounding the data set for it to work. You have the blank column(M) but not a blank row at the top of your data set.
However, try the following instead:-

VBA Code:
Sub Test()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With Sheet1.UsedRange.Offset(2).Resize(, 12)
            .Copy Sheet2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

I've used sheet codes (Sheet1 and Sheet2) above instead of sheet names so you'll need to check in the Project Explorer if these are the correct sheet codes.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.

Upvote 0
I am reading your requirement a bit differently to vocoolio and I don't think that either CurrentRegion or UsedRange will work for you.
If you are happy to assume that for a row to be eligible to be moved to history it has to have a date in column B then something like the below might work for you.
If not then I would probably switch to using find in columns B:L but see if this works first.

VBA Code:
Sub GetInputArea()

Dim shtQC As Worksheet, shtHist As Worksheet
    Dim rowLastQC As Long, rowNextHist As Long
    Dim rngQC As Range, rngHist As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set shtQC = Worksheets("QC")
    Set shtHist = Worksheets("Historical")                      '<--- Change to correct sheet name

With shtQC
        rowLastQC = .Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row      ' Assumes that a valid row will always have a date
        Set rngQC = .Range("A3:L" & rowLastQC)
    End With

With shtHist
        rowNextHist = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1
        Set rngHist = .Range("A" & rowNextHist)
    End With

rngQC.Copy
        rngHist.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Both astute solutions, Originally I populated the date both for the date of each line to pull and in hopes of an IF condition to only pull those lines, even tried a ISTEXT and TRUE but got rid of that too. I will reformat the source sheet with a blank row, already thought to do that in a column and spaced the row, hence my frustration I think. Hoping the current region works this way as I have not used it before and just think its a cool function. Lets see what I can break!

Upvote 0
Adjusted both to work and do what I need, my OCD hurts a bit copying blank rows over and I have no concerns of hitting a cell limit like google so its moot. Out of sheer curiosity, with a blank row now formatted at the top, what would an example of a Current region look like, just want to learn what I was doing wrong and reverse engineer a bit if anyone has the time. Thank you both a ton already as well!

Upvote 0
A blank row or blank column is effectively the border surrounding the current region.
If you click on an non-empty cell and press ctrl+* which on most keyboards means ctrl+shift+8, it will select the current region relative to that cell.
That is what VBA current region will return.

It is an area surrounding a point of reference, so a sheet can have multiple current regions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back