VBA - Error when using Cstr on Variant

jaspalsd

Board Regular
Hi,

I am needing to use a variant to find a range of where my keyword is found on multiple rows so I can copy data to another source but when I run the code I have a run time error 1004. The code worked fine when I had defined integers with set values.

I am not an expert in VBA, merely manipulating code I've found on forums to make it relevant for my purposes.

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()

Worksheets("Receivables").Activate 'worksheet name

Dim FSearchRow As Variant 'first row of keyword search
Dim LSearchRow As Variant 'last row of keyword search

FSearchRow = "=MATCH(A2,A:A, 0)"  'A2 is for test purposes as I will ref another worksheet for unique ids
LSearchRow = "=(MATCH(A2,A:A,0)+(COUNTIF(A:A,A2))-1)"

Dim rng As Range

Set rng = Range("B" & CStr(FSearchRow) & ":" & "B" & CStr(LSearchRow)) 'range will change on variable first and last rows where this part is getting errors

rng.Copy Range("L1:L30") 'test purposes as I will copy to another worksheet

End Sub

Thanks,

Jas

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi,

I am needing to use a variant to find a range of where my keyword is found on multiple rows so I can copy data to another source but when I run the code I have a run time error 1004. The code worked fine when I had defined integers with set values.

I am not an expert in VBA, merely manipulating code I've found on forums to make it relevant for my purposes.

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()

Worksheets("Receivables").Activate 'worksheet name

Dim FSearchRow As Variant 'first row of keyword search
Dim LSearchRow As Variant 'last row of keyword search

FSearchRow = "=MATCH(A2,A:A, 0)"  'A2 is for test purposes as I will ref another worksheet for unique ids
LSearchRow = "=(MATCH(A2,A:A,0)+(COUNTIF(A:A,A2))-1)"

Dim rng As Range

Set rng = Range("B" & CStr(FSearchRow) & ":" & "B" & CStr(LSearchRow)) 'range will change on variable first and last rows where this part is getting errors

rng.Copy Range("L1:L30") 'test purposes as I will copy to another worksheet

End Sub

Thanks,

Jas
looking back to VBA I've done previously do I have to apply something similar to dim strformulas(x to y) as a variant?

Upvote 0
Code:
Fsearchrow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("A2").Value, Range("A:A"), 0)

Lsearchrow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("A2").Value, Range("A:A"), 0) + _
Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("A:A"), Range("A2").Value) - 1

Set Rng = Range("B" & Fsearchrow & ":B" & Lsearchrow) 'range will change on variable first and last rows where this part is getting errors
Rng.Copy Range("L1") 'test purposes as I will copy to another worksheet
Application.CutCopyMode = False
HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
Solution
Code:
Fsearchrow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("A2").Value, Range("A:A"), 0)

Lsearchrow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("A2").Value, Range("A:A"), 0) + _
Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("A:A"), Range("A2").Value) - 1

Set Rng = Range("B" & Fsearchrow & ":B" & Lsearchrow) 'range will change on variable first and last rows where this part is getting errors
Rng.Copy Range("L1") 'test purposes as I will copy to another worksheet
Application.CutCopyMode = False
HTH. Dave
you sir are a genius :)

If it isn't any bother may I please ask why Application.WorksheetFunction worked? Apologies as I don't use macros often

Upvote 0
Code:
FSearchRow = "=MATCH(A2,A:A, 0)"
Your code was setting the variable to a string like making it equal to "Hello". You could use that type of code to set the formula for a cell value which would then output a value that U could use. For example....
Code:
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Formula = "=MATCH(A2,A:A, 0)"
FSearchRow = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value
The above code would give FSearchRow the desired Match value. You also need to use Application.Worksheetfunction because VBA does not have a MATCH function. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
Me again,

Doing something stupid. I want to find for test purposes the sum of a range of data based on the first and last row of data from Row 19. When I run the formula it returns the string =SUM(AmountRange) in cell E4.

Looking back at macros I've done previously I do not know where I am going wrong as those worked when I applied a range and filldown.

My main goal is to apply the =XIRR(AmountRange,DateRange)

Can anyone please advise, thanks.

VBA Code:
Sub Calculator()

Worksheets("NewCalculator").Activate
Range("E4").Select

Dim DateRange As Long

Dim AmountRange As Long

DateRange = Range("D19:D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

AmountRange = Range("E19:E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Range("E4").Formula = "=Sum(AmountRange)"

End Sub

Upvote 0
Me again,

Doing something stupid. I want to find for test purposes the sum of a range of data based on the first and last row of data from Row 19. When I run the formula it returns the string =SUM(AmountRange) in cell E4.

Looking back at macros I've done previously I do not know where I am going wrong as those worked when I applied a range and filldown.

My main goal is to apply the =XIRR(AmountRange,DateRange)

Can anyone please advise, thanks.

VBA Code:
Sub Calculator()

Worksheets("NewCalculator").Activate
Range("E4").Select

Dim DateRange As Long

Dim AmountRange As Long

DateRange = Range("D19:D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

AmountRange = Range("E19:E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Range("E4").Formula = "=Sum(AmountRange)"

End Sub
Figured it out looking at old workings, I wrongly put D19 when I should have focused on Column D alone for the last row count

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back