VBA/Excel ChartTitle Problem

threadgill

Hi, this may be very confusing at first, but I'm going to do my best.

I have a slightly complicated Excel spreadsheet that has lots of VBA macros used in it. I'm trying to add a macro that finds all charts in the workbook and then exports them as a "PNG" file. My code works perfectly for 8 worksheets, which contain the majority of the charts anyway.

I have 20 worksheets in the workbook that contain a varying amount of charts (1 to 5) on their page. The charts are not in sequence, their top left corner is always in the same column; however, the row is always different.

Here's the problem...on these 20 worksheets, it only exports the first chart. I've debugged the code to see when the chart title is being updated on these sheets. When I actually look at the charts on the sheet, they all have different titles and are in very different locations. According to "ActiveSheet.ChartObjects", the number of charts is correct (in every one of the 20 worksheets); however, the 'Item#' (each individual chart) points to only the first chart on the page. None of the other charts seem to be found by the "ActiveSheet.ChartObjects" call. So, if the "ActiveSheet.CharObjects" shows that there are 5 charts on one worksheet, then the first chart will be exported 5 times (only b/c I use the increment number in the name).

If you'd like to see my spreadsheet (it's monstrous), I'll share it; but I don't know that it would help much. It seems that the problem is mainly with Excel and not with VBA. As I've stated, my code works perfect on all of my other worksheets in the workbook (one of which contains 61 different charts).

Thanks for any tips that you can give. I've never run across this before in any other macros I've written, but, then again, I'm fairly new to creating macros in Excel.

Here's the code I'm using:
Code:
Sub ChartExport()
Dim myPath As String
Dim fName As String
Dim x%
Dim i As Integer
Dim ch As Chart
Dim Pict As Object

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    myPath = ActiveWorkbook.Path
    For x% = 1 To Sheets.Count
        If ((Sheets(x%).Name <> "Home") And (Sheets(x%).Name <> "Summary")) Then
            Sheets(x%).Select
            i = 1
            For Each Pict In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
               Set ch = Pict.Chart
               fName = myPath & "\" & ch.ChartTitle.Caption & "_" & i & ".png"
               ch.Export fName, FilterName:="PNG"
               Set ch = Nothing
               i = i + 1
            Next
            Set ch = Nothing
        End If
    Next x%
End Sub

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back