VBA For Next loops and naming variables within them (a few fundamentals)

dellehurley

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
HI
I am Google and Youtube trained when it comes to VBA so my basics can be a little lacking, so my apologise in advance.
I am writing a troubleshooting procedure for a database and I have a couple of questions about For Next To loops when if comes to best practice as well as if there are issues I have not foreseen with reusing the same terms. See the code below...

VBA Code:
For i = 2 To lastrow        'does the j need to be changed up for each loop (to the k for eg.) or
    For j = 1 To 3           'only if they use the same range or
        'Do something        or I can keep using the j as the loop ends between uses
    Next j

For k = 4 To 6
        'do something
    Next k
Next i

For i = 2 To lastrow   'or if totally separate this this do the i and j need to be changed
    For j = 1 To 3      'each time or fine to continue forever.
        'Do something
    Next j
Next i

'If name a variable(?) like this within a loop like the top one with i loop containing many sub loops
'does this need to declared for each loop or only the once?
For i = 2 To lastrow
    For j = 2 To 10
    FileName = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, j).Value
    Next j
    For j = 2 To 10
    FileName = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, j).Value
    Next j

Next i
End Sub
\
Many Thanks for the clarification and help.
Dannielle

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I don't really understand your questions but I have modified your code to demonstrate what is actually happening. So I suggest you run this modified code with breakpoints set on each line with "Next i"
Open the immediate window and look at it after each iteration of i. To run to the next breakpoint hit function key F5 or menu RUN/continue. Hopefully this will answer your questions about looping .
To answer your question about declaring a variable you only need to declare a variable once, you can reuse any existing varaible as many times as you like.
VBA Code:
Sub test()
lastrow = 5
For i = 2 To lastrow        'does the j need to be changed up for each loop (to the k for eg.) or
        Debug.Print ("i=" & i & " j=" & j & " k=" & k)       '  or I can keep using the j as the loop ends between uses
    Next j

For k = 4 To 6
        Debug.Print ("i=" & i & " j=" & j & " K=" & k)       '  or I can keep using the j as the loop ends between uses
        'do something
    Next k
Next i    ' set breakpoint here

For i = 2 To lastrow   'or if totally separate this this do the i and j need to be changed
        Debug.Print ("i=" & i & " j=" & j & " k=" & k)       '  or I can keep using the j as the loop ends between uses
    Next j

Next i    'and here

'If name a variable(?) like this within a loop like the top one with i loop containing many sub loops
For i = 2 To lastrow
    For j = 2 To 10
    Filename = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, j).Value
    Next j
    For j = 2 To 10
    Next j

Next i   ' and here
End Sub

Upvote 0
I don't really understand your questions but I have modified your code to demonstrate what is actually happening. So I suggest you run this modified code with breakpoints set on each line with "Next i"
Open the immediate window and look at it after each iteration of i. To run to the next breakpoint hit function key F5 or menu RUN/continue. Hopefully this will answer your questions about looping .
To answer your question about declaring a variable you only need to declare a variable once, you can reuse any existing varaible as many times as you like.
VBA Code:
Sub test()
lastrow = 5
    Next j

For k = 4 To 6
        Debug.Print ("i=" & i & " j=" & j & " K=" & k)       '  or I can keep using the j as the loop ends between uses
        'do something
    Next k
Next i    ' set breakpoint here

Next j

Next i    'and here

For i = 2 To lastrow
    For j = 2 To 10
    Next j
    For j = 2 To 10
    Next j

Next i   ' and here
End Sub
Thanks. I know if was a strange and simple question. When I began I presumed you had to change the letter for each loop in the same procedure. Then I decided this may not be the case and I changed my habit. I was just concerned that there may have been an another issue that I had not for seen and thought it best to ask. Same with the variable within a loop.
Again thanks for your time.
Dannielle

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelMA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back