VBA Help - Filter a Pivot table based on list of values

largeselection

Hi All -

I've searched around and haven't found a great solution for this, I found some other older posts, but the solutions posted didn't seem to work for me, my guess is that the reason it didn't work is bc the pivot table I am trying to manipulate is based on powerpivot data. I suspect it is largely a formatting issue so hoping this is an easy ask! Thanks in advance!

VBA Code:
Sub FilterPT()
Dim PI As PivotItem

With Worksheets("PT").PivotTables("ItemPT").PivotFields("[Prod].[InvID].[InvID]")
        .ClearAllFilters
        For Each PI In .PivotItems
            PI.Visible = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(ActiveSheet.Range("B5:B500"), PI.Value) > 0
        Next PI
    End With
End Sub

This does successfully clear the filters for that pivot for the field "[Prod].[InvID].[InvID]", but then fails when trying to do the filter.

Essentially what I want to do is filter that field based on a list of IDs that are in the range B5:B500 - to add a little complexity that range can change in length (could be as few as 1 or as many of a few hundred) and there is a rare possibility that someone could enter an ID that doesn't exist in the PT data (which I was planning to skip with onerror next.

Alternatively,
I tried recording to better understand how the filter works and what the fields look like and I got

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("ItemPT").PivotFields( _
        "[Prod].[InvID].[InvID]" _
        ).VisibleItemsList = Array( _
        "[Prod].[InvID].&[ProdMAK1]", _
        "[Prod].[InvID].&[ProdMAK2]", _
        "[Prod].[InvID].&[ProdMAK3]")
end sub

So another approach could be to somehow build the array in this dynamically based on the list of IDs. Currently in B5:B7 it just lists out "ProdMAK1", "ProdMAK2", "ProdMAK3" so something that would check each cell in the range and if there is something there then add it to the array with "[Prod].[InvID].&[............]" wrapped around each entry?

Thanks for your help! Always so excited to learn from this community.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Quick update - I've tried the path of creating an array and now I can create an array that when I print it appears to contain the things I want, but when I try to use it as the array for the pivot it doesn't work. Any thoughts?

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()
Dim myarray() As Variant
Dim datarange As Range, cell As Range
Dim x As Long

Set datarange = ActiveSheet.Range("A2:A3")
ReDim myarray(datarange.Cells.Count)

For Each cell In datarange.Cells
    myarray(x) = cell.Value
    x = x + 1
Next cell

ActiveSheet.PivotTables("ItemPT").PivotFields( _
        "[Prod].[InvID].[InvID]" _
        ).VisibleItemsList = Array(myarray())
End Sub

If I change the last line to myarray(x) then there isn't an error message, but it also doesn't update the pivot table to the IDs that are listed.

Upvote 0
I see a bunch of people have viewed this...I've continued trying different approaches with no success. If I need to I can probably just convert this into a regular data/pivot table vs powerpivot, would that help simplify this? Only reason why I didn't initially do this was bc then the workbook size was pretty large...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back