VBA Sort

bmkelly

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am trying to sort my worksheet with the follow code and I keep getting an error "This formula is missing a range reference or a defined name." on this line of my code:

VBA Code:
Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=("Absolute Value"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlYes

Here is my entire code:
VBA Code:
With ActiveSheet.Sort
        .SortFields.Clear
            Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=("Description"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
            Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=("Absolute Value"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlYes
            Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=("Transaction Code"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
            Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Sort Key1:=("QuarterSerial"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes

Ideally if I were to manuall sort this, this is how I would do it but I would like to automate it as much as possible

1644954699079.png

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I suspect the different Column Headers are not all located in Col A ?

Your sort code all refers to Range ("A1").
And the code also refers to the same Key Number (1).

Here is a resource : VBA Sort Range | (Descending, Multiple Columns, Sort Orientation
Thanks, I will take a look at those links. You are correct each of the column headers are in different columns of the spreadsheet. Ideally I would like for the code to find the column header and sort 4 total times (each with a different column header).

I had followed this video as my guide

Upvote 0
@Logit that link is related to Range.Sort which can only handle 3 keys, whereas the OP is trying to do a Worksheet.Sort which can handle more keys.

Upvote 0
If you are wanting to sort all columns ... here is one way to do it. Obviously this example is not finalized for your number of columns.
Play with it and see if you can correctly edit it for your workbook.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub SortingColumnsInRange()
    ' Selecting used range
    Range("A:F").Select

Selection.Columns.Sort key1:=Columns("A"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Columns("B"), Order2:=xlAscending, key3:=Columns("C"), Order3:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
End Sub

sort.jpg

Upvote 0
If you are wanting to sort all columns ... here is one way to do it. Obviously this example is not finalized for your number of columns.
Play with it and see if you can correctly edit it for your workbook.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub SortingColumnsInRange()
    ' Selecting used range
    Range("A:F").Select

Selection.Columns.Sort key1:=Columns("A"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Columns("B"), Order2:=xlAscending, key3:=Columns("C"), Order3:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
End Sub

View attachment 57903
Thanks, I tried to mess around with it and caved in to just using the recording macro function
VBA Code:
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Transactions").ListObjects("TransactionTable").Sort. _
        SortFields.Clear
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Transactions").ListObjects("TransactionTable").Sort. _
        SortFields.Add2 Key:=Range("TransactionTable[QuarterSerial]"), SortOn:= _
        xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        SortFields.Add2 Key:=Range("TransactionTable[Transaction Code]"), SortOn:= _
        SortFields.Add2 Key:=Range("TransactionTable[Absolute Value]"), SortOn:= _
        xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        SortFields.Add2 Key:=Range("TransactionTable[Description]"), SortOn:= _
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Transactions").ListObjects("TransactionTable"). _
        Sort
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply

End With

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back