VBA to Cause One Range to Lock if There is Data in Another Range

effingeh

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello! Is it possible to lock the cells in one range (D13:E22) if there is any non-zero data in another (B13:C22) and vice-versa?

The sheet defaults to all 40 of these cells being editable and at $0. There is also VBA being used to ensure that when data is deleted, it defaults back to $0. There is a 5th column that is looking at all 4 columns and taking B-C+D+E, but that is because users should only use B and C or D and E. The code would help prevent any issues in accidental entries that use more than the 2 columns that are needed.

Also - Would this be easier/possible with data validation? I attempted this and was able to get it to work on one half (an error would pop up asking you to delete out the other 'side'), but I wasn't able to duplicate it when I attempted to set up the same rules for the other side.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
This is how I was able to do it:
- Select B13:C22
- Click on Data > Data Validation > Data Validation
- Under settings "Allow" = Custom and "Formula": =AND($D13="", $E13="")
- Make sure "Ignore Blank" is unchecked

Do the similar thing for the second half:
- Select D13:E22
- Click on Data > Data Validation > Data Validation
- Under settings "Allow" = Custom and "Formula": =AND($B13="", $C13="")
- Make sure "Ignore Blank" is unchecked

Upvote 0
Just realized you use 0 instead of blank cells, so you might wanna change the formula above by replacing double quotes ("") with zero (0)

Upvote 0
thanks, iggydarsa! that works perfectly when data is in the same row. is there a way to update the formula to have this look at the entire range? for example, if data is in B13, it would close off all of D13:E22?

i tried using a range in place of the cells and even changing the logic to look at the sum of the range and make sure it was $0, but the only thing that worked was adding all 20 cells individually to the AND statement (=AND($D$13=0,$D$14=0,$D$15=0,$D$16=0,$D$17=0,$D$18=0,$D$19=0,$D$20=0,$D$21=0,$D$22=0,$E$13=0,$E$14=0,$E$15=0,$E$16=0,$E$17=0,$E$18=0,$E$19=0,$E$20=0,$E$21=0,$E$22=0). any thoughts on how to make that a little more elegant?

thanks again for the initial help!

Upvote 0
Change =AND($D13="", $E13="") to =AND($D$13:$E13="")

Change =AND($B13="", $C13="") to =AND($B$13:$C13="")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back