VBA worksheetfunction.lookup issues

quarna

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi.

My code returns the wrong cell values, but only sometimes, depending on the value it is looking for and i cant seem to find out why.

The Code looks in sheet("varenumre") for a number like you see below and returns a text in one cell and a number in the other:

81201.04AB 6t granit 160/220 RA151007409
81201.44AB 6t granit 160/220 P-flex RA151007411
81402.02AB 11t Granit 70/100 RA301007530
81402.42AB 11t granit 70/100 P-flex RA301007533
81401.42AB 11t granit 70/100 P-flex RA151007526
51400.02AB 11t granit 70/1001001013

For example if it lookup 81402.02 it does not return, AB 11t Granit 70/100 RA30, 1007530
But instead it returns, AB 11t granit 70/100, 1001013
However if it looks for 81201.44 it returns the correct values.

I am new to VBA and the code is a mix from different online searches.

The entire code:

Sub xopslag()

Dim markedcell As Range
Dim materiale As Range
Dim varenummer As Range

Set markedcell = ActiveCell
Set materiale = markedcell.Offset(, -1)
Set varenummer = markedcell.Offset(, 1)

If Not Application.Intersect(ActiveCell, Range("H2:H1000")) Is Nothing Then
On Error Resume Next
materiale.Value = WorksheetFunction.Lookup(markedcell.Value, Sheets("varenumre").Range("A2:A500"), Sheets("varenumre").Range("B2:B500"))
varenummer.Value = WorksheetFunction.Lookup(markedcell.Value, Sheets("varenumre").Range("A2:A500"), Sheets("varenumre").Range("C2:C500"))
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
MsgBox ("Wong number !")
End If

On Error GoTo 0

Else
MsgBox ("Stay on cell" & vbCrLf & " " & vbCrLf & "Remember to type number!")
End If

End Sub

Thanks a bunch

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Lookup uses approximate matching, the source table needs to be sorted with column A in ascending order for it to work correctly.

With the example provided, I would expect some errors but not the one that you have told us about. From the information provided it would appear that some of your codes are numbers formatted as text. If this is the case then they would need to be converted to proper numbers otherwise you will encounter more errors.

Upvote 0
Solution
Lookup uses approximate matching, the source table needs to be sorted with column A in ascending order for it to work correctly.

With the example provided, I would expect some errors but not the one that you have told us about. From the information provided it would appear that some of your codes are numbers formatted as text. If this is the case then they would need to be converted to proper numbers otherwise you will encounter more errors.
Oh my god.

Sorry about that, what a simple cause of the issue, that i should and do know.
Guess i was starring blind from looking at this too long.

Thank you, have a nice day

Upvote 0
I notice that you have office 365 as your excel version so you could use XLOOKUP instead of LOOKUP which would retrieve an exact match instead of approximate. It will likely be slower to process, but with a 500 row range hopefully it will not be noticeable.

Upvote 0
I notice that you have office 365 as your excel version so you could use XLOOKUP instead of LOOKUP which would retrieve an exact match instead of approximate. It will likely be slower to process, but with a 500 row range hopefully it will not be noticeable.

To begin with it was an xlookup function, but because of the formula multiple times got deleted and resulting in some frustration. I search for an vba solution.
And it works so far, but as you said, Col. A must be sorted A-Z for it to work correctly.

Upvote 0
You can use xlookup in vba the same as lookup, the syntax is exactly the same.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back