VLOOKUP Help for Report Card Grades Incentive Program

mcgonma

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have made an incentive deal with my daughter where she will earn money for her grades.

The incentives are
A+ (100) earns $1
A (99-90) earns $0.50
B+ (89-85) earns $0.15
B- (84-80) earns $0.05
NHI (Not Handed In) deduct $0.50 for each individual

I'm looking to do a lookup where I have a table with my daughter's grades column E (rows 2-30), column H (rows 2-7 has the grade range listed above, and column I (rows 2-7) has the incentive payout amount for each grade range.

In column G, I would like a formula that looks at the earned grade in column E, then checks column H to find the grade range that it falls in, and then finds the corresponding payout amount for that grade range and puts it in column G.

The word description for cell G2 would be something like: For the grade found in cell E2, find the range that it falls between in H2-H6, return the corresponding value in I2-I6. For example, if the grade in column E is a 92, the value returned in column G would be $.50.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I'm looking to do a lookup where I have a table with my daughter's grades column E (rows 2-30), column H (rows 2-7 has the grade range listed above, and column I (rows 2-7) has the incentive payout amount for each grade range.

In column G, I would like a formula that looks at the earned grade in column E, then checks column H to find the grade range that it falls in, and then finds the corresponding payout amount for that grade range and puts it in column G.

The word description for cell G2 would be something like: For the grade found in cell E2, find the range that it falls between in H2-H6, return the corresponding value in I2-I6. For example, if the grade in column E is a 92, the value returned in column G would be $.50.
Will the grades be in letter format (i.e. B+) or number format (i.e. 97)?

Upvote 0
Will the grades be in letter format (i.e. B+) or number format (i.e. 97)?
The grades will be numerical.
Also, if the grade is below 80, there is $0 payout. And, if the grade is NHI it is -$.50.

Upvote 0
Instead of doing a lookup, why not nest the formula? Something like....
=IF(E1=100,1,IF(AND(E1<100,E1>=90),0.5,IF(AND(E1<90,E1>=85),0.15,IF(E1="NHI",-0.5,""))))

Upvote 0
Instead of doing a lookup, why not nest the formula? Something like....
=IF(E1=100,1,IF(AND(E1<100,E1>=90),0.5,IF(AND(E1<90,E1>=85),0.15,IF(E1="NHI",-0.5,""))))
Because if i change the payment amount for each range I need to manually change the formula instead of just changing the payment amount in a table. For example, the question I posed is for individual assignments in a given class; but we also have different payout amounts for her overall quarterly grade in each class, as well as her final year grade for each class.

Upvote 0
You can put the range in separte cells (i.e. 100 in cell A1, 90 in cell A2, 85 in cell A3) and same with the $ amounts, then just reference those cells in the formula. Not elegant, but should work. Hopefully someone can come up with something better. Good luck! :)

Upvote 0
Solution
You can put the range in separte cells (i.e. 100 in cell A1, 90 in cell A2, 85 in cell A3) and same with the $ amounts, then just reference those cells in the formula. Not elegant, but should work. Hopefully someone can come up with something better. Good luck! :)
now i see what you're saying and i think that could work. I'll modify what you provided and see if i can make it happen.
Thank you very much!!!

Upvote 0
Is that what you want?

Book3
EFGHIJK
1GradeIncentive
2950.500A+
3850.05840.05A+
4860.05890.15B+
500900.5A-
61001NHI
7NHI-0.5
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G5G2=VLOOKUP(F2,$H$2:$I$7,2,1)

Upvote 0
This was perfect and extremely helpful!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back