Volatile Functions and Excel Limitations

arkusM

Hello all,
I started the below thread a while ago, and was able to resolve the issue I had.
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340445

But, I am curious as to why excel crashes when I put the volatile functions in one forula, but when I break the same amount of volatile functions into named formulas it works. In fact there is another volitle function in the conditional formatting, the was added after I got the formula to work. If there is a limit on volatility then why can it be circumvented? I know that you can do similar tricks with nested if statements.

Generally I do not understand that if mashing all the functions together crashes excel because there are too many, how/why breaking them up does not cause the same problem… This may just be my ignorance speaking but it seems odd.

It is kinda like sleeping with your co-worker is bad if it happens during work hours, like lunch time. But if it happens before work and after work it is ok. I know there is a lot of gray in that scenario, that is life.

The computer world, I thought, as much more binary. If it is an illegal operation, it can’t be done. Period. With my case in the above OP, it seems that Excel has some non-binary solutions. Has MS built some human-like AI that allows Excel to operate in the gray!!?!?! :eek:

In case you were wondering; the idea was to do a vlookup on a value and if there was an error create a dynamic range, based on a helper column, that sumed up a specified number in the helper column. Say from current postion up 14 rows give me the sum.

The below crashes Excel.
Rich (BB code):
=SUM(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW()-INDIRECT(ADDRESS((ROW(),7)),COLUMN())),INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW()-1,COLUMN())))

The below does not:
Rich (BB code):
=LOOKUP(9.99999E+307,CHOOSE({1,2},SUM(Top_RNG:T_End_Rng),Volume_Lookup))
Rich (BB code):
Top_Rng  =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW()-1,COLUMN()))
T_End_Rng =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW()-T_Col,COLUMN()))
T_Col =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),7))
Volume_Lookup =VLOOKUP(Revenue!$F27,Rec_PTS_MN,Revenue!N$1,0)

For formatting
Code:
=MOD(ROW()-14,1*2)+1<=1

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammMcCandless

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back