Vstack Filter using indirect with constants and variables

Mjk2117

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey everyone - looking for some help on this:

My dataset is in large table formats, with dozens of fields, two of which will need to be filtered the same way every time, which I have working well below:

VSTACK(FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),(INDIRECT(B1&"["&B2&"]")<0),FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),((INDIRECT(B1&"["&C2&"]")=C3)+(INDIRECT(B1&"["&C2&"]")=D3))*(INDIRECT(B1&"["&D2&"]")=B3))))

B1 = Table Name
B2,C2,D2 = Column Names
B3,C3,D3 = Filter Names

What I'd like to do and can't seem to figure out is how to add in additional fields that are interchangeable, but if do not cancel out the result of the above formula. Think of the above as constants, and what i'm trying to add as variables. I've tried nesting the above indirect snippets with Iferror and using a toggle cell with an IF statement for the variables i've mentioned but can't quite get it to work right.

Appreciate any help.

- Thanks

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Consider posting some XL2BB of your current output and how you want it to appear? It's not clear to me what these "additional fields" may be. More table ranges? More rows from additional criteria? Header rows? More columns? I need something more specific than "additional fields".

Upvote 0
Okay so say it looks something like this. The constants are Status and Identifier, I have that part working. What I want to add in is the option to also filter it by Agency Name or Agent Type, for example, but if not using that, the original filter on the constants that my above formula does still applies.

Attachments

• Sample.png
    Sample.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
You are already multiplying arrays within FILTER(), aren't you? Perhaps multiply it with an array that still returns everything if the "variable" is blank? Such as:
Excel Formula:
IF(F1<>"",(INDIRECT(B1&"["&C2&"]")=F1),1)

Upvote 0
Solution
You are already multiplying arrays within FILTER(), aren't you? Perhaps multiply it with an array that still returns everything if the "variable" is blank? Such as:
Excel Formula:
IF(F1<>"",(INDIRECT(B1&"["&C2&"]")=F1),1)

Got it, thanks! Turned into a lengthy one haha

=IF(E2="ON",VSTACK(FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),(INDIRECT(B1&"["&B3&"]")<0),FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),((INDIRECT(B1&"["&C3&"]")=C4)+(INDIRECT(B1&"["&C3&"]")=D4))*(INDIRECT(B1&"["&D3&"]")=B4)*(INDIRECT(B1&"["&E3&"]")=E4)))),VSTACK(FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),(INDIRECT(B1&"["&B3&"]")<0),FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),((INDIRECT(B1&"["&C3&"]")=C4)+(INDIRECT(B1&"["&C3&"]")=D4))*(INDIRECT(B1&"["&D3&"]")=B4)))))

Upvote 0
If such a large chunk is repeated, perhaps consider this instead?
Excel Formula:
=VSTACK(FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),(INDIRECT(B1&"["&B3&"]")<0),FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),((INDIRECT(B1&"["&C3&"]")=C4)+(INDIRECT(B1&"["&C3&"]")=D4))*(INDIRECT(B1&"["&D3&"]")=B4)*IF(E2="ON",(INDIRECT(B1&"["&E3&"]")=E4),1))))

Upvote 0
If such a large chunk is repeated, perhaps consider this instead?
Excel Formula:
=VSTACK(FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),(INDIRECT(B1&"["&B3&"]")<0),FILTER(INDIRECT(B1),((INDIRECT(B1&"["&C3&"]")=C4)+(INDIRECT(B1&"["&C3&"]")=D4))*(INDIRECT(B1&"["&D3&"]")=B4)*IF(E2="ON",(INDIRECT(B1&"["&E3&"]")=E4),1))))
does the 1 reference the portion of the formula before the if statemetn?

Upvote 0
1 is just equal to TRUE, so it shouldn't affect anything before the IF statement.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back