Weighted Score not counting blanks

LotsofQuestions1

Office Version
  1. 2007
  2. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I was using a format for a scoring tool to show a scoring of 1,0 and blank for items that weren’t applicable. C6-C36 could have a total of 31. The formula I was using was =Sum(c6:c36)/count(c6:c36) with a score that would essentially equal 100%.

However, I’ve been asked to weight some areas differently. Column C6-C36 can now have a total score of 43 but C13 and C22 can be a possible score of 6, C15 can possibly score 3. I’m trying to figure out what the best formula would be to figure out the possible weighted scores to equal 100%. I have an older excel version:2016.

Thank you

That’s what I needed help with bc I have created other documents and had others given to me that didn’t have the weighted balance total 100. They were able to be weighted and calculated to show as 100%, even though they didn’t necessarily equal 100 points

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Sorry, I can't help any further on this at the moment, as I just don't understand what exactly you want to do.
I think I understand roughly what you want to do, but not exactly.

You need to be able to describe your requirements clearly and concisely, including giving one or two examples of what the results should be.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I can't help any further on this at the moment, as I just don't understand what exactly you want to do.
I think I understand roughly what you want to do, but not exactly.

You need to be able to describe your requirements clearly and concisely, including giving one or two examples of what the results should be.
Ok but I thought about your question previously and I do have a different response. So the total weighted amount should equal 43 points. I would like the 43 points to ultimately show as 100% if they get all answers correct. If they score 42 points and one area is left blank, this should also show as 100% bc a blank area is considered not applicable. If they score 42 points and the one area is showing as a 0, their score would lower bc they got that area incorrect. Maybe that would help?

Upvote 0
If they score 42 points and the one area is showing as a 0, their score would lower bc they got that area incorrect

So what exactly should the score be in this example ?

Should it be 42/43 = 97.67% ?

It might also help if you change your wording slightly.
You're using "score" to mean two different things I think -
a) the sum of the scores across all the questions
b) the percentage of (a) as a share of the possible maximum score

Upvote 0
So what exactly should the score be in this example ?

Should it be 42/43 = 97.67% ?

It might also help if you change your wording slightly.
You're using "score" to mean two different things I think -
a) the sum of the scores across all the questions
b) the percentage of (a) as a share of the possible maximum score
Oh ok, yes, I will change my wording but what you showed above (42/43=97.67%) is exactly what the outcome should be if the person had an incorrect answer.

Upvote 0
For the questions that may have a possible score of, say, 6, is it possible that they could also be marked as blank ?
If yes, what should happen with them ?
Should they be treated as if they have scored 6 ?

Upvote 0
For the questions that may have a possible score of, say, 6, is it possible that they could also be marked as blank ?
If yes, what should happen with them ?
Should they be treated as if they have scored 6 ?
Yes and yes, it would then be treated as if they scored a 6

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaineSpartan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back