What does Σ mean in a formula!!!!

sxhall

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I've dabbled with Excel for years and have come across this symbol, Σ, when Googling for a solution to exclude colums within the CHOOSECOLS function.

This is the solution I am using it in to combine four tables in to one while excluding certain column numbers and allowing a sort to be applied...

Excel Formula:
=SORT(VSTACK( CHOOSECOLS(Rota_T1,LET(Σ,SEQUENCE(382),FILTER(Σ,ISERROR(XMATCH(Σ,{2,3,5,6,7,8,10,11}))))),CHOOSECOLS(Rota_T2,LET(Σ,SEQUENCE(382),FILTER(Σ,ISERROR(XMATCH(Σ,{2,3,5,6,7,8,10,11}))))),CHOOSECOLS(Rota_T3,LET(Σ,SEQUENCE(382),FILTER(Σ,ISERROR(XMATCH(Σ,{2,3,5,6,7,8,10,11}))))),CHOOSECOLS(Rota_T4,LET(Σ,SEQUENCE(382),FILTER(Σ,ISERROR(XMATCH(Σ,{2,3,5,6,7,8,10,11})))))),SWITCH(C154,"Team",2,"Colleague Name",1,"Shift Pattern",3,1),1)

In the above I've combined LET to exclude some columns inside the Function CHOOSECOLS, which inturn I've inserted in to VSTACK to combine the tables, all wrapped in SORT to define the sort order, with a SWITCH at the end based on the named choice to refernce a column number to sort the list by.... and breathe!!!!!

Symbol Σ is used in the LET and FILTER function and have never seen it used before but it works! What is the Σ symbol doing in the above formula? The piece I lifted the web is...

Excel Formula:
=LET(Σ,SEQUENCE(382),FILTER(Σ,ISERROR(XMATCH(Σ,{2,3,5,6,7,8,10,11})))))

Hope this is the right forum as I have a solution, this is just a question.

Sxhall

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
It's just a variable name. It could have been called anything but some people like to use symbols.

Upvote 0
RoryA,

Thanks for coming back so soon. It's obvious now you've said it and I can see how it works with LET and then with FILTER.

I'll leave it in there as it will baffle my colleagues, if it baffled me. Will only make me look like more of an Excel wizzard 😂

Sxhall

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back