What should my priority be in a new computer to quickly process large Excel spreadsheets with a lot of formulas?

AnthoHead

I spend hours a day waiting for my spreadsheets to actually process the data. I have 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1265U 1.80 GHz processor, but I just can't continue to wait this long for simple stuff like ascending a column. I recorded a video and it took 27 minutes for a column with roughly 120k rows to filter out blank cells.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Does this happen with any workbook, or just particular ones? If it's all of them, try starting Excel in safe mode (hold down Ctrl while starting the application) and see if the problem is still there. If not, then one of your startup files is the cause - probably an add-in.
If it's one particular file, I'd suspect volatile functions - does it always take a long time to recalculate when changing any values?

Upvote 0
If the issue is mostly the sheer volume of data and/or formulas, it may be a sign that you are using the wrong tool.
I often see people try to use Excel for large databases, when a database program like Microsoft Access or SQL is the more appropriate tool to use (as that is what they were designed for).
While many people try to use Excel as a relational database, it is really not what it was designed for, so performance often degrades as it gets too large.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back