When is Excel better than SQL?

dbrown1623

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
It feels like many people are learning SQL these days. Are there fundamental situations where Excel still remains a better analysis tool?

I'm not talking about the ability to add charts or quickly paste in data. It's more about are there types of analysis that's better done in a grid-like, cell-based interface than querying tables?

Wondering if us Excel power users have a place in the age of data warehouses and Snowflake.

I'll throw in one example. If we're calculating the total addressable market of an industry with lots of drivers (pricing x volume by segment), it feels like Excel is better.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I guess to extract data from database is SQL but for final detail processing is Excel :)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: When is Excel better than SQL?
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
A lot of it depends on the nature of the project. It is important to understand one very important fact:
SQL is a Relational Database program, Excel is not.

I have see many people try to use Excel as a database program, for a myriad of reasons:
- They do not have access to database programs like SQL, Microsoft Access, MySQL, Oracle, etc.
- They are very comfortable using Excel, but not so much using database programs
- They don't realize that they actually have a relational database

Now, you can use Excel as a relational database program, and make it work, but it is generally very clunky and inefficient (as an MVP here once said, "you could use a screw driver to pound in nails, though I wouldn't advise it). So it really is about using the best tool for the job.

Because of the robust analysis tools available to Excel, I have seen many people store their data in a relational database program, but then query it into Excel to take advantage of those tools. So that approach takes advantage of the efficiencies of multiple programs working in unison.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back