Why is Excel only display one cell in normal view?

clueless101

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have Excel 2010 (so no longer supported by Microsoft). I am a basic user with laptop. I received a spreadsheet from trusted organization that was only viewable in full-screen mode.
Since opening it, now all my spreadsheets only display one cell on the screen at a time - unless, I switch to Full-screen mode, only then I can see all the cells.
The one cell is all I can see in normal, page layout, page break preview, and/or custom view. I can use enter and arrow keys to move to another one cell.
If I view in full-screen mode, then all the cells are visible on my screen.
I have tried the Arrange All - Tiled (and also Horizontal), this causes the all the menu bar selections (under File) to be grayed-out, except for Arrange and Switch Windows(even with only one file open). Until I hit Enter key to move to the next cell, then the menu bar selections can be picked again.
I do not see that there are any print area settings, I cleared that. But, didn't help anyway.
I have looked at all my settings and all the menus, but I can't figure out how to get back to Excel 2010 that works in normal view!
I have the same problem even when I create a new blank spreadsheet! (can only see one cell)
what if I just remove and re-download Excel 2010? - can I even do that, since it is no longer supported by Microsoft?
Can anyone help me in how to get back to being able to view my spreadsheets in normal view?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
A guess. The file you received contains a macro that changes your settings and menu bar. This macro has been interrupted before it reversed the settings it had changed. The easiest way is to analize the macro and manually reverse all the settings it changed or, if provided, launch the macro that should've reversed the settings.
You could also check in folder XLSTART and look for new default setting files.

Upvote 0
I did: File - Macros - view macros - and there are no macros in the spreadsheet

where is the folder XLSTART?

Upvote 0
I did: File - Macros - view macros - and there are no macros in the spreadsheet
Nop, if the macros are declared 'Private' or are event macros you won't see them there. Go to the editor or press Alt+F11 and first of all check the ThisWorkBook module (and others).
where is the folder XLSTART?
1. Press Alt+F11 to launch the VBE.
2. If the Immediate window isn't visible, press Ctrl+G.
3. In the Immediate window, type: ?application.StartupPath and press Enter. VBE will display the path to XLStart. Note that it's a hidden folder.

Upvote 0
well, I finally figured out that show formula bar was checked. This showed the formula bar on the left side of the screen as one (column) cell and then one cell of the spreadsheet on the right side. Unchecking that finally allowed me to see the entire spreadsheet in normal view.
I had also tried a lot of other things... don't know if they contributed to my solution or not...
thanks rollis13 for your responses and help.

Upvote 0
Well, Show Formula Bar is checked by default on all versions of Excel so that can't be your real problem. I don't remember Excel 2K10 but I don't think that Formula Bar could've been dragged to the left side of the screen, maybe the whole Menu Bar but not just the Formula Bar; try dragging it back into place (maybe you need to unlock your Menu Bar before).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back