xlookup 2 criteria

charly1

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all
Does anyone have time to help me with the code below. I have attempted to write code with a double lookup criteria and it isn't working.
Thanks so much in advance!

VBA Code:
Dim ActiveRow As Long

ActiveRow = ActiveCell.Row

Dim tblartist As Range
Dim tblname As Range
Dim tbleref As Range

Set tblartist = Worksheets("sheet1").ListObjects("Table1").ListColumns(14).DataBodyRange
Set tblname = Worksheets("sheet1").ListObjects("Table1").ListColumns(5).DataBodyRange
Set tbleref = Worksheets("sheet1").ListObjects("Table1").ListColumns(1).DataBodyRange

TextBox1.Value = WorksheetFunction.XLookup((ActiveRow, 5) & (ActiveRow, 7), tblartist & tblname, tbleref)

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Xlookup won't return anything by looking in two columns for information. My suggestion is that you create a helper column that concatenates the values from those two columns.

Now as far as the reference (Activerow,5), I'm pretty sure you can't reference a cell like that. You may want to use Activesheet.cells(Activerow, 5).

Dim LookupTxt as string
Dim aSht as worksheet
Dim ActiveRow as long

ActiveRow = Activecell.Row
set aSht = Activesheet
LookupTxt = aSht.cells(ActiveRow, 5).value & aSht.cells(ActiveRow, 7).value

Then you can use LookupTxt in the XLookup formula and the new helper column

Jeff

Upvote 0
Xlookup won't return anything by looking in two columns for information. My suggestion is that you create a helper column that concatenates the values from those two columns.

Now as far as the reference (Activerow,5), I'm pretty sure you can't reference a cell like that. You may want to use Activesheet.cells(Activerow, 5).

Dim LookupTxt as string
Dim aSht as worksheet
Dim ActiveRow as long

ActiveRow = Activecell.Row
set aSht = Activesheet
LookupTxt = aSht.cells(ActiveRow, 5).value & aSht.cells(ActiveRow, 7).value

Then you can use LookupTxt in the XLookup formula and the new helper column

Jeff
Thanks so much for your time.

I don't know that much about excel, although the below xlookup formula does work fine in my spreadsheet, and it does refer to 2 separate columns.

Excel Formula:
=XLOOKUP(E11&G11,Table1[[#All],[מחבר]]&Table1[[#All],[ספר]],Table1[[#All],[מספר]])

All I am trying to do is write the exact same formula in vba - exchanging the two lookup values for two ranges

Upvote 0
So, I guess you can use multiple columns in Xlookup using the Ampersand between them. I tried several ways to get to work in VBA

Upvote 0
So, I guess you can use multiple columns in Xlookup using the Ampersand between them. I tried several ways to get to work in VBA
Thanks for your time. I gave up trying to do it in vba and just went along with your idea of helper columns.

Upvote 0
Apparently we are in good company and Bill Jelen has a similar issue.

Give this a try:
VBA Code:
Sub BillJelensMethod()

Dim ActiveRow As Long

ActiveRow = ActiveCell.Row

Dim tblartist As Range
    Dim tblname As Range
    Dim tbleref As Range

Set tblartist = Worksheets("sheet1").ListObjects("Table1").ListColumns(14).DataBodyRange
    Set tblname = Worksheets("sheet1").ListObjects("Table1").ListColumns(5).DataBodyRange
    Set tbleref = Worksheets("sheet1").ListObjects("Table1").ListColumns(1).DataBodyRange

Dim LookFor As Variant
    Dim LookIn As Variant
    Dim LookReturn As Variant

LookFor = Cells(ActiveRow, 5).Value & Cells(ActiveRow, 7).Value
    LookIn = Evaluate("=" & tblartist.Address(External:=True) & "&" & tblname.Address(External:=True))

ActiveCell = WorksheetFunction.XLookup(LookFor, LookIn, tbleref, "Not Found")

End Sub

Around the 5 min mark.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back