Sumproduct needs refinement

plettieri

Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello friends.

I have considered the following formula that is working for me, however, I need to expand ther areas to add two more regions.

Working formula

=SUMPRODUCT((YEAR('Powers final '!$E$32:$E$211)=YEAR('Summary final'!D62))*'Powers final '!$N$32:$N$211)+SUMPRODUCT((YEAR('Powers final '!$E$218:$E$397)=YEAR($D62))*'Powers final '!$N$218:$N$397)

Desired formula
=SUMPRODUCT((YEAR('Powers final '!$E$32:$E$211)=YEAR('Summary final'!D62))*'Powers final '!$N$32:$N$211)+SUMPRODUCT((YEAR('Powers final '!$E$218:$E$397)=YEAR($D62))*'Powers final '!$N$218:$N$397)+SUMPRODUCT((YEAR('Powers final '!$E$500:$E$600)=YEAR($D62))*'Powers final '!$N$500:$N$600)+SUMPRODUCT((YEAR('Powers final '!$E$700:$E$800)=YEAR($D62))*'Powers final '!$N$700:$N$800)

This would work, but a but cumbersome to manage.

Since the data is aligned in alike columns, I tried using one range..such as

=SUMPRODUCT((YEAR('Powers final '!$E$32:$E$600)=YEAR('Summary final'!D62))*'Powers final '!$N$32:$N$600

....but these desired ranges are not contiguous and does not seem to work unless the range is not interrupted...or maybe they can and I have missed something...

Might there be an shorter version of this or another approach?

Thanks in advance for reading.

plettieri

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
how about

=SUMPRODUCT((YEAR('Powers Final '!$E$32:$E$600)=YEAR('Summary Final '!D62))*'Powers Final '!$N$32:$N$600)

Upvote 0
Thks WillR,

As noted in my question, I did try that formula you suggested and I get a "#value!" response.

Maybe I missed something....the question is, should that formula I tried and you suggested be affected by non contiguous ranges?

plettieri

Upvote 0
Assuming that the cells between the ranges are either blank or contain a text value, such as a label, maybe...

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER('Powers final'!$E$32:$E$800),IF(YEAR('Powers final'!$E$32:$E$800)=YEAR('Summary final'!D62),'Powers final'!$N$32:$N$800)))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER. Adjust the range accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
If you have the latest morefunc.xll add-in...

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final '!$E$32:$E$211,'Powers final '!$E$218:$E$397,'Powers final '!$E$500:$E$600)=YEAR($D62)),ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final '!$N$32:$N$211,'Powers final '!$N$500:$N$600,'Powers final '!$N$700:$N$800)

Another option is to create a Year column (column O, foe example) on Powers final where you leave cells between relevant ranges empty. This allows you to invoke:

=SUMIF('Powers final '!$O$32:$O$600,YEAR($D62),'Powers final '!$N$32:$N$600)

Upvote 0
Mr Aladin,

Tks for your reply

I did think about the "helper column" concept and was aware of that but, I was trying think of way without that aid. The helper concept works quite well ..(and maybe the easiest to explain solution to others).

Your solution when tried resulted appears to be missing some ")" or "(".

I inserted the brackets where I thought appropriate, but maybe not so well placed....in this revised formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final '!$E$32:$E$211,'Powers final '!$E$218:$E$397,'Powers final '!$E$500:$E$600)=YEAR($D62))),ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final '!$N$32:$N$211,'Powers final '!$N$500:$N$600,'Powers final '!$N$700:$N$800))

This formula produces the reply of #VALUE!. I do have the
morefunc.xll add-in installed.

Tks as always
plettieri

Upvote 0
Mr Aladin,

Tks for your reply

I did think about the "helper column" concept and was aware of that but, I was trying think of way without that aid. The helper concept works quite well ..(and maybe the easiest to explain solution to others).

Your solution when tried resulted appears to be missing some ")" or "(".

I inserted the brackets where I thought appropriate, but maybe not so well placed....in this revised formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final '!$E$32:$E$211,'Powers final '!$E$218:$E$397,'Powers final '!$E$500:$E$600)=YEAR($D62))),ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final '!$N$32:$N$211,'Powers final '!$N$500:$N$600,'Powers final '!$N$700:$N$800))

This formula produces the reply of #VALUE!. I do have the
morefunc.xll add-in installed.

Tks as always
plettieri

Vagaries of copying and pasting ranges from your original formula...

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final '!$E$32:$E$211,'Powers final '!$E$218:$E$397,'Powers final '!$E$500:$E$600))=YEAR($D62)),ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final '!$N$32:$N$211,'Powers final '!$N$500:$N$600,'Powers final '!$N$700:$N$800))

Upvote 0
Hi:

Just to close this thread, there were several solutions offered that will perform the tast requested...I made a small reference correction to Aladin's solution and that works very in my application.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final'!$E$32:$E$211,'Powers final'!$E$218:$E$397,'Powers final'!$E$500:$E$600))=YEAR($D62)),ARRAY.JOIN('Powers final'!$N$32:$N$211,'Powers final'!$N$218:$N$397,'Powers final'!$N$500:$N$600))

Thanks to all

plettieri

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back