Excel always asks to save even without making changes

Jegacats

Board Regular
My client is tired of excel always asking if he wants to save his files.
I checked on my stn and if I make no changes, excel closes the files without asking the question.
I asked the client to send me one of his files.
I opened the file and closed it immediately without making any modifications. I was asked if I wanted to save the doucument. I checked the version and this file wanted to save in 95. I then saved it to 97. My station is by default 97. So I thought this would resolve the problem. No.

I then opened the file (saved in 97 format, with my workstation configured for 97) I closed it immediately without making any changes and was again faced with the prompt asking if I wanted to save. .....

How can I get rid of this msg if I make no changes. I also checked for a macro and there aren’t any.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

(especailly Furia: WELCOME to the Board !!!)

This would save the workbook anyway.
No popup would appear.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Thanks, Erik!

However, I do not use (and do not want to use) macros.

This problem happens for any (new or old) workbook.
For instance, if I open and then close Excel, it asks to save the empty workbook...

I even tried your code to a new workbook and Excel stiull asks to save the it again!?!

Using:
ThisWorkbook.Saved=True
also does not have effect...

It is a problem with Excel configuration...

I'm using Excel 2000 with SP3.

Upvote 0
You have installed your macro as an "alround"-application instead of in the workbook itself.
This kind of stuff is not my speciality, but this let me think that the reason why there was always asked to save could be another macro you installed in the same "alround"-location used for any workboook. (my vocabulary is short today :) )

you may email your workbook to me: so I can take a look if you want!?

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with Excel 2003. Open .xls file. Close it, and it asks to save changes. But after many hours of following threads it seems it had to be a problem of recalculation. However, some threads recommend turning this off, which most users don't want to do. So I wondered if there was a problem in the forumlae (or formulas as MS calls them).

And guess what? I found them.

Here are the errors I found, with the more correct formulae written after. After weeding out these errors, the file stopped recalculating and went back to not asking me for a save (*heaves a sigh of relief*). I suggest you go and find all syntax errors in all formulae and change them. Method:
  1. Does it do this asking to save thing with a brand new empty .xls? No? read on... Yes? IDK what to do for you.
  2. Save a back up copy of your Excel file (this will remain as your origninal if you mess up)
  3. Delete almost all the formulae
  4. save and close
  5. open and close the file.
  6. See if it asks you to save. If not, then the problem is in the ones you deleted. If it does, you still have a problem in the ones you kept.
  7. Delete more till you isolate the problem formula.
Here are my problems and solutions:

=IF((COUNTIF('1'!T5:AE5,"Y")=11),$BC$1,"U") spot the extra brackets!
should be
=IF(COUNTIF('1'!T5:AE5,"Y")=11,$BC$1,"U")

and

=IF(COUNTIF('1'!T5:'1'!AE5,"Y")=11,$BC$1,"U") yes, this also broke it
should be
=IF(COUNTIF('1'!T5:AE5,"Y")=11,$BC$1,"U")

and

=IF(COUNTIF('3&4'!AD5:AE5,"Y")=2,$DR$1,"U") bad sheet name
should be=IF(COUNTIF('34'!AD5:AE5,"Y")=2,$DR$1,"U")

Good luck and hope this helped.

TempusFugit

Teachers Rule!

Upvote 0
I think I have a better, simpler solution. The problem is indeed with Excel recalculating formulae. However, I don't think there needs to be any error in the formulae. The problem is that Excel always recalculates before closing the file, and therefore thinks there are changes when in fact none have been made.

To turn this off, go to Excel Preferences, Calculation, and uncheck "Always calculate before saving workbook". You might need to check Calculate Sheets "Manually" to be able to do this. Then check Calculate Sheets back to "Automatically".

That appears to have worked for me.

Upvote 0
I had a very troubling scenario. Excel asked to save every file I opened, even if the file was CSV (i.e. no formulas) when I just opened it and tried to save it a moment afterwards without making any change. It also happened if I created a new empty file and saved it, upon opening the brand new file and trying to close it, Excel asked me if I want to save changes, even if the file was completely blank and had no data within. It didn't matter if Excel was in manual calculation mode when opening these files.

I have a Quandl add-in installed and I read online that all Excel add-ins have to be disabled to verify the root cause is not because one of the installed Excel add-ins. I did so and the problem with Excel's saving prompt kept occurring. Only after many hours of frustration and one random check, I found out that it's also COM add-ins that can cause this problem and not only Excel add-ins. When I disabled Quandl's COM add-in, the problem was solved.

I don't know what triggered this to start happening because the Quandl add-in was installed in my laptop for a couple of months and I never experienced any problems. It's good to know COM add-ins can also affect this scenario wherein Excel prompts you to save every file you open.

Upvote 0
GREAT JOB Erik!! This worked for me. I had the same prob. A quick paste, and now I don't get that prompt to save after not having made changes. Sweet. thanks brother

Upvote 0
Just want to signal-boost thunderin's reply about disabling add-ins. I had some files that Excel would ask to save after opening even if I hadn't made any changes, and they didn't have any volatile functions, VBA macros, or references to external documents. Disabling automatic formula calculations did nothing (and indeed, I wanted Excel to keep automatically calculating my non-volatile formulas), and neither did re-saving the workbooks as new .xlsx files.

However, after reading thunderin's post I looked through the addins I had enabled (Developer > Add-ins group) and I saw that the Analysis ToolPak Excel Add-in was enabled. Since I didn't need to use it and could always re-enable it later, I un-checked the add-in and the problem was solved. Now, I can open my workbooks and close them without Excel asking me to save if I haven't made changes.

I guess something about the ToolPak add-in means that any workbook with formulas might encounter this issue if it is enabled.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back