A Worksheet OnScroll Event ! - How cool is that ?

Jaafar Tribak

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

There is no such event in excel. Using a timer to constantly monitor any change of the ScrollRow/ScrollColumn of the activewindow is feasible but it is not worth it because of the strain that such a running timer would put on the application.

While playing around with some Controls via the "More Controls" icon on the ToolBox Toolbar, I came accross this ActiveX control named: InkPicture which has an interesting event called InkPicture_Painted and which basically fires every time it receives a repaint message.

I thought , maybe if i place one on the worksheet , the Control paint event would fire when scrolling the worksheet. Guess what: It worked :)

I embeeded one into the worksheet and reduced its width to a minimum so that it's almost invisible. I streched its height over 1000 rows so it covers a reasonable down/scrolling region.

Ok. Now, before I get too excited about this, there is a problem: Does this InkPicture Control come with all or most Office standard installations like the OWC controls? if so then great. if not, i should just forget about this whole thing. (i am running Office XP XL 2003)

Notice that there is also an annoying prompt upon opening a workbook containing an embeeded ActiveX control. Fortunatly, this can be avoided by adding a reference to the Control library ( MS Tablet PC Type Lib) Programatically , adding the Control at run time and hooking its events in a Class module.

here is a a workbook demo that shows an implementation of this custom Worksheet Scroll Event (it captures the event to prevent the user from scrolling down beyond the visible range ) : http://www.savefile.com/files/1158486

I would appreciate any feedback on this as i would like to know if it works on different machines/XL versions.

Regards.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back