Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Random Number Generator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the best and fast way to generate a truely random numbers about say 250 million numbers to test my probability of an occurance happening? And I guess more specifically how good is EXCEL random number generator at producing truely random numbers? Thanks again for all the feedback I recieved from my last question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random numbers generated by a computer are not random. They are produced by an algorithm, which usually transforms a seed into a pseudo-random number, and another seed.

Excel's random number generator is:

sn+1 = (9821 sn + 211327) mod 1,000,000
    xn+1 = sn+1/1,000,000

The best way to generate a random number is with a hardware random number generator. This is a piece of electronics that plugs into a computer and produces genuine random numbers as opposed to the pseudo-random numbers that are produced by a computer program. The usual method is to amplify noise generated by a resistor or a semi-conductor diode and feed this to a comparator or Schmitt trigger. If you sample the output you get a series of bits which are statistically independent. These can be assembled into bytes, integers or floating point numbers and then, into random numbers from other distributions.

[ This Message was edited by: Al Chara on 2002-04-02 07:29 ]

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others