Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conditional formating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are your words true because we are dealing with Conditional Formatting?
    i.e. "=IF($N6=1,"Turn a certain cell Red") [ modified ' to "" ]

doesn't return a logical value when $N6=1, only does so when $N6<>1. Conditional Formatting expects a logical value (TRUE or FALSE). "

What if it were entered as an if function, outside of Conditional Formatting? If the value in N6 was a 1, the logical value should say TRUE. As you wrote previously: Condition --> Action1, Action2
    Is the condition IF($N6=1,[TRUE] Then Make A Cell Red, [If it is False, make the cell Empty]"")

I know what you are saying is correct, because I changed my spreadsheet, and it works. I am not being argumentative, I am just having a hard time understanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

On 2002-04-09 15:26, kojak43 wrote:
    Are your words true because we are dealing with Conditional Formatting?
    i.e. "=IF($N6=1,"Turn a certain cell Red") [ modified ' to "" ]

doesn't return a logical value when $N6=1, only does so when $N6<>1. Conditional Formatting expects a logical value (TRUE or FALSE). "

Yep.

What if it were entered as an if function, outside of Conditional Formatting? If the value in N6 was a 1, the logical value should say TRUE. As you wrote previously: Condition --> Action1, Action2
    Is the condition IF($N6=1,[TRUE] Then Make A Cell Red, [If it is False, make the cell Empty]"")

=IF($N6=1,"Make A Cell Red","")

put in a cell (outside Conditional Formatting), say in A1, this formula will produce/return the string "Make A Cell Red" in A1 whenever N6 contains 1 as value; The formula will compute a blank, i.e., "", whenever N6 houses a value other than 1. The crux is that

$N6=1

is the condition argument of IF. The condition must evaluate to TRUE for Action1 or must evaluate to FALSE for Action2.

I know what you are saying is correct, because I changed my spreadsheet, and it works. I am not being argumentative, I am just having a hard time understanding.

Don't worry: I don't take your questions as argumentative.

Aladin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much, Aladin for taking so much time to explain this to me.

I can see this stuff is not going to be easy.
    It will be enjoyable, and with resources as yourself and others at Mr Excel, I might be able to get by without pulling out my hair.
    Oh, too late!
    Kojak.

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others