Anchoring multiple cells at once

Bengo

Board Regular
Would anyone know how to "anchor" several cells simultaneously without going into each cell and pressing F4?

Many thanks.

Thanks Joe, bit beyond me I think at the minute but I'll get there! In the meantime the add in is working perfectly! Thanks!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Or with VBA you can copy the formula of cells in a particular range to an array and then write the array back to the paste destination:

Code:
[COLOR=blue]Public[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR] phoo1()
    [COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] rngCopy [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] Range, rngDestination [COLOR=blue]As[/COLOR] Range
    [COLOR=blue]Dim[/COLOR] arrFormulas()

[COLOR=blue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]GoTo[/COLOR] Catch
        [COLOR=blue]Set[/COLOR] rngCopy = Application.InputBox( _
                                    prompt:="Copy range:", _
                                    Title:="Copy", _
                                    [COLOR=blue]Type[/COLOR]:=8)
        [COLOR=blue]Set[/COLOR] rngDestination = Application.InputBox( _
                                    prompt:="Paste cell:", _
                                    Title:="Paste", _
                                    [COLOR=blue]Type[/COLOR]:=8)
    [COLOR=blue]On[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]GoTo[/COLOR] 0

arrFormulas = rngCopy.Formula
    rngDestination.Resize(rngCopy.Rows.Count, rngCopy.Columns.Count) = arrFormulas
Catch:

[COLOR=blue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]Sub[/COLOR]

EDIT: And if you want to paste formats too then you can bolt on a bit (before Catch: )
Rich (BB code):
rngCopy.Copy
rngDestination.PasteSpecial xlFormats

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Jon,

despite this being a ridiculously long time ago I wanted to say thanks for your workings above!! Believe it or not I actually never saw this reply, my email didn't come through... it's only when looking at past posts that i saw this!

Anyway better late than never I suppose

Thanks again

Upvote 0
It's been a while :). You're welcome! But now I just can't help posting a better answer.

There is a VBA method called ConvertFormula that can be used to toggle A1/R1C1 notation. We can exploit this method to convert ranges to absolute, e.g:
Code:
ActiveCell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(ActiveCell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute, ActiveCell)

So using this method one could loop a range of cells and rewrite the formula in each cell, converting references to absolute in the process.

Upvote 0
Fantastic!!!

definately going to try that one! I have some work coming up which I'll try it with later on thanks!!

If you have a chance to look at my latest thread via my profile you seem like you could be the one to opint me in the right direction....! if you have the time of course!!

Many many thanks again!

Upvote 0
It's been a while :). You're welcome! But now I just can't help posting a better answer.

There is a VBA method called ConvertFormula that can be used to toggle A1/R1C1 notation. We can exploit this method to convert ranges to absolute, e.g:
Code:
ActiveCell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(ActiveCell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute, ActiveCell)

So using this method one could loop a range of cells and rewrite the formula in each cell, converting references to absolute in the process.

First I have to say-this is amazing! Thank you!

I have one problem-it works on most of my formulas but in others it results in the cell being emptied and just saying #value, do you know why this could be? Here's an example of the formulas:

It works on this formula:

=SUM('Consolidated P&L'!$R$40:$R$66,'Consolidated P&L'!$R$68:$R$76)/1000-('2011'!$N$75/1000)

but not on this formula:

=SUM('Consolidated P&L (2)'!R36:R38,'Consolidated P&L (2)'!R41:R67,'Consolidated P&L (2)'!R69:R77)/1000-('2010'!N76/1000)

Any ideas why? Could it be something to do with the number at the end of the sheet name?

Thanks,

Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back