How to see VBA code being built while recording a macro?

matjusm

I am in the process of learning VBA and I'm trying to find out how I can see code being built as I'm recording a macro.

I got this tutorial series about macros and in it the guy in the tutorial video simply has the VBA editor and Excel open simultaneously (he's using Excel 2007) and he can record a macro that way. However when I try this in my Excel 2010, I am unable to record a macro (as in the option is greyed out) while the VBA editor is open yet the guy in the video can do it.

Anybody know how I can solve this problem?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Try opening XL, then open the VB editor, then click record, then OK, then click on the new module that was created and open it, start making changes and watch the magic. :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Try opening XL, then open the VB editor, then click record, then OK, then click on the new module that was created and open it, start making changes and watch the magic. :biggrin:
Tried that but doesn't work. I record a macro, open up VB editor and click on the newly created module but when I go back to Excel, it just won't let me record a macro and insists on graying out that option under the macro button drop down menu.
Is there perhaps something in the settings that I need to toggle?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Split your windows. For instance, I have dual monitors with Excel on one and VBA on another. If I record a macro, I can see the recorded actions update on screen #2 in real-time.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Split your windows. For instance, I have dual monitors with Excel on one and VBA on another. If I record a macro, I can see the recorded actions update on screen #2 in real-time.

HTH,
Hi.

For some reason it suddenly started working. What didn't work at all before now suddenly works just as Rekd described it. No idea what caused this but the important thing is that it works. Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back