"Cannot empty the clipboard!" message error doing my head in...

medexcel

I recently got a new PC running Windows 7, 64 bit edition. Installed Office 2003 Pro without any problems. But every time I drag a cell somewhere on the worksheet, I get an annoying error message"Cannot empty the clipboard!" that has to be clicked to proceed with the drag. It only happens when dragging, not when copy/pasting.

This has never happened before on any machine running Office 2003 that I've experienced, and is really annoying as it slows me down a lot. All the fixes I've found from Googling talk about killing the process rdpclip.exe (not running on my machine), not using GetRight Monitor version 3.2 (I'm not), clearing the Monitor Clipboard (empty), clearing the clipboard (no effect) or using a hotfix that's only for users of Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based server (I'm not using that, I'm on Win 7).

Please help, it's driving me mad! What on earth is happening?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi I kept having this problem it was quite strange and did everything to try and resolve it! One of those what happened to the time jobs! lol! Anyway I checked what else I was running and found it was English to English Oxford Dictionary. Took a while to establish this was the problem but I closed that and the annoying problem was solved! Hope that helps! I may be well late........

Upvote 0
Just registered to say thank you- can't believe how long that has been irritating me for! Had the Skype extension in Chrome, uninstalled and problem gone. THANK YOU!

Upvote 0
Just registered in the hope that someone can help me with this problem! I get this error everytime I try to drag the contents of a cell but at no other time, I can Ctrl+c/Ctrl+x, Ctrl+v fine. I don't have any other Office programs open and I don't have Skype installed or have a browser that has a Skype add-in installed. In fact, this happens even if I don't have a browser open and I've just started up the PC and have opened nothing else except Excel! I'm running 64 bit windows 7 but have 32 bit Excel, could this have something to do with it? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated since it's so frustrating. i've tried repairing the installation, but not removing and reinstalling yet. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Additional info/partial solution: When I try to drag and drop, it still works despite the error pop-up appearing; rdpclip.exe is not running on my machine; downloading and running clipbrd.exe reports that the clip board service is unavailable or not started but having it open in the background means I can drag and drop cells without the pop-up appearing! I guess I can live with this as a solution, but I'd prefer a cleaner one where I didn't have to open clipbrd.exe before using Excel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back