Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Prevent saving edited workbook

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a workbook with numerous formulas. The may at times overwrite the formulas with values. User will then print the worksheet. But I don't want it saved that way. The next time the workbook is opened I want the formulas to be there. The 'password to modify' isn't working the way I expect it to. I want to display a message if the user tries to save after making changes and prevent the save from taking place. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save your workbook as a Template, using password to open. This will allow people to open a COPY of the workbook to use, but prevent them from overwriting the original.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Excel workbook is an object, clled from a VB program. The password protected template doesn't seem to work in this case. It lets me save the template without a password. When I open the template by itself, it saves as an XLS with a "1" added to the end of the filename. But from VB it lets me save a revised XLT. Maybe I need to intercept the 'save' from within VB and display a message. Any ideas for the event (property, method?) to look for?

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others