Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Prevent saving edited workbook

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a workbook with numerous formulas. The may at times overwrite the formulas with values. User will then print the worksheet. But I don't want it saved that way. The next time the workbook is opened I want the formulas to be there. The 'password to modify' isn't working the way I expect it to. I want to display a message if the user tries to save after making changes and prevent the save from taking place. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save your workbook as a Template, using password to open. This will allow people to open a COPY of the workbook to use, but prevent them from overwriting the original.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Excel workbook is an object, clled from a VB program. The password protected template doesn't seem to work in this case. It lets me save the template without a password. When I open the template by itself, it saves as an XLS with a "1" added to the end of the filename. But from VB it lets me save a revised XLT. Maybe I need to intercept the 'save' from within VB and display a message. Any ideas for the event (property, method?) to look for?

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others