Referencing a UserForm loaded in a seperate excel instance ?

Jaafar Tribak

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a seperate instance of excel open but hidden. This hidden instance runs some code that periodically displays a userform which pops up on the screen. I need to get a reference to that userform so I can get the name of the UserForm and the text displayed in two of the UserForm TextBoxes ,put the data in the worksheet of the current excel session and then close the UserForm.

Can this be done ?

The VBA.UserForms collection returns all the loaded UserForms but won't work for UserForms loaded in a seperate Excel instance.

Also, the workbook in the hidden excel application has no path as it is cretaed by a dll on the fly. This poses a problem because I would not be able to use the GetObject Function tp get a Pointer to the workbook and from there to the UserForm.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Is it possible at all to get a reference to the VBA library in a seperate excel instance ? That way, I could get to the UserForm via the VBA.UserForms Collection.

Upvote 0
If you can get a handle to the workbook window, then you can get a workbook and/or application object from that, and if you have a function in the workbook that returns the userform object, you should, I think, be able to get it that way?

Upvote 0
If you can get a handle to the workbook window, then you can get a workbook and/or application object from that, and if you have a function in the workbook that returns the userform object, you should, I think, be able to get it that way?

Hey Rorya. Thanks.

That's the actual problem. I don't have control over the seperate hidden workbook so I can't have a function that returns the userform.

Upvote 0
How were you planning to get from the workbook object to the loaded userform, as mentioned in your initial post?

Upvote 0
How were you planning to get from the workbook object to the loaded userform, as mentioned in your initial post?

Good question. In fact , I now realize that this is impossible. I initially thought that I could somehow get to the VBA Library from the workbook and then use VBA.UserForms collection.

Upvote 0
I take it you can't modify the workbook's project from yours?
Unfortunately I don't know how, or if, you could use AccessibleObjectFromWindow to convert the form's window handle into a userform object (which is what I would use to get the Workbook).

Upvote 0
I take it you can't modify the workbook's project from yours?
Unfortunately I don't know how, or if, you could use AccessibleObjectFromWindow to convert the form's window handle into a userform object (which is what I would use to get the Workbook).

I had thought about that , unfortunately, that API will only work on the innermost document window of the Class. In the case of Excel, it would be the Workbook Class "Excel7" but not the UserForm.

Upvote 0
Hi RoryA,

Digging up this old thread as I have found a solution to this after messing about with the ObjectFromLresult oleacc API .

1- Code in a standard module :
Code:
Option Explicit

Private Type GUID
    Data1 As Long
    Data2 As Integer
    Data3 As Integer
    Data4(0 To 7) As Byte
End Type

[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=If]#If[/URL]  VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function ObjectFromLresult Lib "oleacc" (ByVal lResult As LongPtr, riid As Any, ByVal wParam As LongPtr, ppvObject As Any) As Long
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function IIDFromString Lib "ole32.dll" (ByVal lpsz As LongPtr, lpiid As GUID) As LongPtr
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" (ByVal hClient As LongPtr, ByVal Msg As Long, ByVal wParam As LongPtr, lParam As Any) As LongPtr
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetNextWindow Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindow" (ByVal hClient As LongPtr, ByVal wFlag As Long) As LongPtr
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetParent Lib "user32" (ByVal hClient As LongPtr) As LongPtr
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetClassName Lib "user32" Alias "GetClassNameA" (ByVal hClient As LongPtr, ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal nMaxCount As Long) As Long
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetDesktopWindow Lib "user32" () As LongPtr
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetWindowText Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextA" (ByVal hClient As LongPtr, ByVal lpString As String, ByVal cch As Long) As Long
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Else]#Else[/URL] 
    Private Declare Function ObjectFromLresult Lib "oleacc" (ByVal lResult As Long, riid As Any, ByVal wParam As Long, ppvObject As Any) As Long
    Private Declare Function IIDFromString Lib "ole32.dll" (ByVal lpsz As Long, lpiid As GUID) As Long
    Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" (ByVal hClient As Long, ByVal Msg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Any) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetNextWindow Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindow" (ByVal hClient As Long, ByVal wFlag As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetParent Lib "user32" (ByVal hClient As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetClassName Lib "user32" Alias "GetClassNameA" (ByVal hClient As Long, ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal nMaxCount As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetDesktopWindow Lib "user32" () As Long
    Private Declare Function GetWindowText Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextA" (ByVal hClient As Long, ByVal lpString As String, ByVal cch As Long) As Long
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=End]#End[/URL]  If

Private Const WM_GETOBJECT = &H3D&
Private Const OBJID_CLIENT = &HFFFFFFFC
Private Const GW_HWNDNEXT = 2
Private Const GW_CHILD = 5
Private Const S_OK = 0

Function GeRemotetUserFormObject(ByVal FormCaption As String) As Object

[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=If]#If[/URL]  VBA7 Then
        Dim hChild As LongPtr, hClient As LongPtr, lResult As LongPtr
    [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Else]#Else[/URL] 
        Dim hChild As Long, hClient As Long, lResult As Long
    [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=End]#End[/URL]  If

Const IID_IDISPATCH = "{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
    Dim uGUID As GUID
    Dim ret As Long, sBuffer As String * 256
    Dim oUfrm As Object

hChild = GetNextWindow(GetDesktopWindow, GW_CHILD)
    Do Until hChild = 0
        ret = GetClassName(hChild, sBuffer, 256)
        If Left(sBuffer, ret) = "ThunderDFrame" Or Left(sBuffer, ret) = "ThunderXFrame" Then
            ret = GetWindowText(hChild, sBuffer, 256)
            If Left(sBuffer, ret) = FormCaption Then
                If GetParent(hChild) <> Application.hwnd Then
                    Exit Do
                End If
            End If
        End If
        hChild = GetNextWindow(hChild, GW_HWNDNEXT)
    Loop

hClient = GetNextWindow(hChild, GW_CHILD)
    lResult = SendMessage(hClient, WM_GETOBJECT, 0, ByVal OBJID_CLIENT)
    If lResult Then
        If IIDFromString(StrPtr(IID_IDISPATCH), uGUID) = S_OK Then
            If ObjectFromLresult(lResult, uGUID, 0, oUfrm) = S_OK Then
                If Not oUfrm Is Nothing Then
                    Set GeRemotetUserFormObject = oUfrm
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Else
        Debug.Print " UserForm Not Found!"
    End If
End Function

2- Code usage example
The following example should get a com reference to a userform loaded in a seperate excel instance and change its backcolor ...You will just need to pass the caption text of the remote userform to the GeRemotetUserFormObject function (in this case the caption is : "UserForm1") :
Code:
Sub Test()
    Dim obj As Object

Set obj = GeRemotetUserFormObject("UserForm1")
    If Not obj Is Nothing Then
        obj.BackColor = vbCyan
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
punka6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back