Error Checking in Excel
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: Date Formatting

  1. #21
    MrExcel MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    11,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On 2002-05-16 06:28, Boxer wrote:
    Hi

    I have exactly the opposite problem, I am using a combobox within a form to selct from a list of dates however after I have made the selection the number appears in number format not the date format.!!!

    I am sure this is somthing really simple but would be grateful if you could help.
    Hi Boxer:
    Yes, it is really simple -- but it is profound! You see to Excel, a given date is a number. For Excel's date calendar, Jan-1-1900 is day number 1,
    so what number would be Jan-5-1900. Even though to us human beings, it is Jan-5-1900, but remember Excel's main function is to mathematically manipulate -- add to, subtract from and so forth in regard to these dates. I believe you have had plenty of time now to figure out that to Excel Jan-5-1900 is number 5. So, you ask what is it, is it number 5, or is it Jan-5-1900 -- well to Excel both of these are the same thing -- the only difference is formatting.
    Now, back to your particular situation, if your date looks like a number, what would you have to do? Did you say Format it as a date. If you got that CELEBRATE! If you did not get that reread this post.

    Regards!
    Regards!

    Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
    Energy Efficient Building Network LLC
    www.energyefficientbuild.com

  2. #22
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    BobH
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yogi, thanks. I finally got it.

  3. #23
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi

    Thanks for that, I understand how excel works with dates. The problem has 99% been solved, the other 1 % is cosmetic so it can wait until I have got time to spend playing with it. Once again many thanks

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •