MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-05-16 06:28, Boxer wrote:
    Hi

I have exactly the opposite problem, I am using a combobox within a form to selct from a list of dates however after I have made the selection the number appears in number format not the date format.!!!

I am sure this is somthing really simple but would be grateful if you could help.
    Hi Boxer:
    Yes, it is really simple -- but it is profound! You see to Excel, a given date is a number. For Excel's date calendar, Jan-1-1900 is day number 1,
    so what number would be Jan-5-1900. Even though to us human beings, it is Jan-5-1900, but remember Excel's main function is to mathematically manipulate -- add to, subtract from and so forth in regard to these dates. I believe you have had plenty of time now to figure out that to Excel Jan-5-1900 is number 5. So, you ask what is it, is it number 5, or is it Jan-5-1900 -- well to Excel both of these are the same thing -- the only difference is formatting.
    Now, back to your particular situation, if your date looks like a number, what would you have to do? Did you say Format it as a date. If you got that CELEBRATE! If you did not get that reread this post.

Regards!
    Regards!

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
    Energy Efficient Building Network LLC
    www.energyefficientbuild.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yogi, thanks. I finally got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

Thanks for that, I understand how excel works with dates. The problem has 99% been solved, the other 1 % is cosmetic so it can wait until I have got time to spend playing with it. Once again many thanks

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others