Capturing date and time stamp on when data is entered in a cell

seethanaboina

Hi Hiker, I am new to using macros and I am trying to capture the date and time stamp of when data is entered into some cells. I was able to use an example found in one of the threads successfully. However, it worked on one row (say column A) and identified the date/time stamp as required in a different column (say I). How do I replicate this for another column (say B) to identify the date/time stamp in another column (J)? Please help me? The code I used is

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Intersect(Target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
If Target = "" Then
Target.Offset(, 8) = ""
Exit Sub
End If
With Application
.EnableEvents = False
.ScreenUpdating = False
Target.Offset(, 8) = Format(Date, "mmm dd yyyy")
.EnableEvents = True
.ScreenUpdating = True
End With

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Change

to

If Intersect(Target, Range("b:b")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Upvote 0
Simply change this row:
Code:
to
Code:
If Intersect(Target, Range("A:[B][COLOR=red]B[/COLOR][/B]")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Joe4, Changing (A:A) to (A:B) worked. I am now able to get the date/time stamp for any changes in Columns A and B in columns I and J. Thank you. How do I go about capturing the date and time stamps if the cells are not consecutive (meaning, the cells where the values change are say A, C, E) and I am ok if the date and time stamps are captured in columns which are consecutive (say I,J,K). Please help.

Thank you

Upvote 0
So we don't get caught in a game of Catch-22 (i.e. every time we provide an answer, the question changes), can you just lay it all for us up front?
That is, can you tell us the full extent of exactly what it is you are trying to do (instead of going bit-by-bit)?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Is what you posted in your last post is all that you are trying to do, then this should work:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Intersect(Target, Range("A:A, C:C, E:E")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

If Target = "" Then
        Target.Offset(, 8) = ""
        Exit Sub
    End If
    With Application
        .EnableEvents = False
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        Target.Offset(, 8 - Int(Target.Column / 2)) = Format(Date, "mmm dd yyyy")
        .EnableEvents = True
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
HI, This is exactly whatI need. And it worked. I thought if I understood it for one column, I can replicate it for other columns as required but failed to do so and hence had to ask for additional help.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, what if I wanted to time-stamp a "check in" and a "check out" for data entered. Say for example a tracking number - this code would work for the time "checked in" - but what could i do to record a time for the same tracking number as a "checked out" without having a duplicate entry of the tracking number?

I thought about putting into an array and searching for matching long's but i don't know if that would work.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back