Count comma separated items in a string

NewOrderFac33

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning,

I have just spent hours poring over some data where I could have saved myself a lot of trouble with a simple formula.

I have a range of cells containing labels such as "Live, Pre-Production", "UAT, Pre-Production, Live", "Live, Inactives, UAT, Development" etc.

I needed to count the number of items in each cell, assuming that they were separated by commas. So, the formula would need to return the value 2 for the first of my examples, 3 for the second and 4 for the third.

It needs to use the logic "If the cell is blank, return 0, if the cell is not blank, but does not contain a comma, return 1, otherwise, return (number of commas +1) i.e. if there are two commas in the string, then there must be three items, and so on.

I understand the logic of what I'm trying to do, I'm just stuck on the bit that counts the number of commas found in the string - can anyone help?

As always, all advice gratefully received! :)

Pete

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Thank you both - both work fine so long as there is a value in the test cell cell, but, VoG, if the test cell is blank, yours still returns 1.

Upvote 0
both work fine so long as there is a value in the test cell cell
I think you'll find mine returns 0 for a blank cell as you requested, however, if that cell is not really blank and has space or spaces in it will return 1. To correct this blank-cell-which-is-not-really-blank problem, you can use trim:
=IF(LEN(TRIM(D8))>0,LEN(D8)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(D8,",",""))+1,0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What splendid people - thank you VERY much for both solutions! Have a good weekend.

Upvote 0
Hi, may I inquire on a similar matter?

Using the original example, 'I have a range of cells containing labels such as "Live, Pre-Production", "UAT, Pre-Production, Live", "Live, Inactives, UAT, Development",' may I know how can I count the number of instances of each activity in such a way that will show something like this:

Live = 3
Pre-Production = 2
UAT = 2
Inactives = 1
Development = 1

Thank you.

Jong

Upvote 0
=COUNTIF($E$13:$E$16,"*"&H13&"*")

1) Identify your unique values in a column
2) In the adjacent cell, enter the formula =COUNTIF($E$13:$E$16,"*"&H13&"*") where E13:E16 is the range you want to search and H13 is the value you want to find. By inserting H13 between two *, you'll be performing a wildcard search.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back