Alt-F11 to open VBE has stopped working!

Jolly Green Giant

Hi everyone.

I'm a newly registered member. Hope someone 'out there' can help me with this oddball problem....

I've been using VBE to build on recorded macros for many a year now. All self taught, learning more all the time. I'm a bit of a keyboard freak (ie keep my hands off the mouse as much as poss, for speed) and 'suddenly' my Alt-F11 keyboard shortcut, to open up the VBE, has stopped working!

I can't correlate this with any particular event (loading new software, installing add-in, customising toolbars, applying shortcut keys to macros, or anything else that I might suspect was a cause...).

Alt-key still works fine on its own, eg to access menus. F11-key still works fine on its own (creates chart). Other Alt-Function Key combinations still work (eg Alt-F8 to show Macro dialog box).

I can't find anyplace where a user can switch shortcut keys on or off or customise them.

I'm stumped!! Just hope someone out there can help as this is a big annoyance for me (considering it's such a small, incidental problem.)

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi JGG,

Welcome to the forum :biggrin:

Keystrokes can be 'interfered with' via VBA using the OnKey method. It may be that a workbook / add-in disabled access in this way and didn't restore it on closing (possibly trying to prevent you looking at the code).

Can you still access the VBE via the Tools menu?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the ideas, Richie.

Any clue on how I'd go about tracking such a culprit down?

I've tried unchecking the an Add-In or two from the Add-Ins dialog box (I seem to remember loading the Analysis Tools VBA recently for some reason) but I'm not sure if just closing and restarting Excel will register that change.

Also, I've used the OnKey fuction in at least one of my own files, but that was to disable the Delete key on a particular worksheet.

Still, I'll explore further. Any other ideas still welcome....

Upvote 0
Hi,

Sorry, should have elaborated. The 'closing code' would be something like this:
Code:
Sub GoAway()
    Application.OnKey "%{F11}", "NoVBE"
End Sub

Sub NoVBE()
    MsgBox "No VBE via keys!"
End Sub
It would then be re-enabled with:
Code:
Sub ComeBack()
    Application.OnKey "%{F11}"
End Sub
Try running the last routine on its own (if you can access the VBE via the Tools menu) and see if that works for you. The Analysis Toolpak add-in wouldn't cause this to happen, if this is the cause its more likely a third party workbook / add-in.

When did you first notice the problem? Does that time match with any newly used workbooks? In the meantime, try using Alt&F11 in Word just to check that the key combination itself is working (ie test whether its a keyboard problem)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your continuing help Richie.

Here's the gen:

Your code didn't fix things. Thanks anyway.

Alt-F11 doesn't work in Word either, (though as I said, the keys work individually - and incidentally in the "Alt-Shift-F11" combination for opening the Script Editor.)

So I reckon you're right. It's a keyboard fault affecting the logic of *that* combination only (Alt + F11).

I'm resigning myself to (and already getting used to) invoking the VBE via the menu choices with Alt-T, then M, then V. This is not too bad. I already use Alt-T, M, R for recording and stopping recording....!

Thanks for all your help. I'm glad I've 'joined the board'.

Upvote 0
Thanks TommyGun, well done for finding this!

In fact, I think you're right - it's unrelated. I'm on Excel 2000 and have this problem even with empty new file with no controls on the page at all.

But thanks for the thought.

Upvote 0
I know it's was a really old threat - but the problem can still come up today.
I am posting one simple solution - just to make sure one can find it on mrexcel.com
If your Alt+F11 suddenly stops working - try a simple solution first:
Check out your keyboard. Most likely it's not a basic keyboard anymore - it probably has some fancy functions (e.g., e-mail related like "Send" or "Reply"). Notice - there is a key that says "F Lock" or "F" or "Function Lock" (it's usually on the upper right part of the keyboard). Well, press it (a little light will go on)!
Now - you can use your favorite keys (like Alt+F11 or F4). Until you do that - they won't work or will work in a strange way (doing not what you expect them to do).
Cheers!

Upvote 0
there is a key that says "F Lock" or "F" or "Function Lock" (it's usually on the upper right part of the keyboard). Well, press it (a little light will go on)!

Thank you for posting this! I kept hitting ALT + F8 and little icons would pop up around the ribbon but wouldn't activate the macro and I couldn't figure this out for weeks! Stupid F Lock.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks dl7631, I know this is well over two years old now, but the dang F Lock got me too. Thanks for the post.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back